How to add Teleport Locomotion to my Project

Hi,

I´m new to this, i´ve set up my project (UE 5), and was able to see it via my Valve Index.
But the controllers keep sitting on the ground, and i want to be able to teleport around the scene.

Does anyone have some good tutorials or advices on this?

Thanks in advance and best,
Dave

Ok, i have checked for navmesh, its all green where it should be green. I ran into another issue, where some objects render only on the left eye. I read that i should uncheck Mobile Multi-View, but its greyed out.

Hey there @delphe_01! I’ve got a decent tutorial for the teleportation movement!

As for the eye issue, I have absolutely no idea! This thread I found recommends flipping Instanced Stereo settings of, restart, and turn it back on.

Disclaimer: Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks for the reply! I checked this tutorial already, i got the feeling, that is missed out one crucial step even before that. I came to the point where it might be a matter of the VRGameMode, whitch needs to be set up properly, because mine is pretty empty. I just copied all the VR Blueprints over from the UE VR template.

For the Instanced Stereo, i´ll give it a shot, thanks so far!

Ok, Instanced Stereo was already set to off. Think i messed around with it already, cause i read the same threat…
When i turn it on, the scene will crash.

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\PipelineStateCache.cpp] [Line: 144] Shader compilation failures are Fatal.

I was taking a look through bug reports and other threads and it looks like there was a fix targeted for 5.02 and was committed but may not have fixed it for everyone. Going to do a bit more research before asking to submit a bug report.

In the meantime, (I know this is a bandaid and not a solution) could you try and see if it allows you to have it on while on DX11? It’d be a good datapoint.

Hey, that worked out for me, thanks a lot! ( :slight_smile:

Do you have any suggestion to my other issue, concerning the controllers not being
recognized?

Best,
Dave

Are we certain the controllers aren’t being recognized at all or is there something that could be effecting the virtual handles? Maybe pop a print string on your player controller and hook up some of your input bindings to verify if the controller is read at all. If not it may just be something with the virtual controllers. I’ve seen some people try to simulate physics on the control actors, and this just makes them drop to the ground and not move unless hit by a physics object.

Thanks again for the reply.

Actually i think im missimg some steps way before all that. Through another hint i came to the insight, that my VRGameMode Blueprint is pretty empty and i should take a look into how to set this up properly.

Do you have some good tutorials on that? Couldnt find anythinh useful by now.

And the controller-meshes are actually not sitting on the ground, they are hanging inside the PlayerPawn Capsule and do not respont.

But when im home i try to figure out the print string thingy.

No worries! I think you might be missing some important setup and settings that come from the original VR project. I highly recommend starting your journey and scaling up from the VR template as a base instead of passing it’s scripts to another fresh project.

Unfortunately I don’t have resources that go over how to get everything rolling from a blank project as most people create tutorials based off of the original template.

Ok, crazy. It was all about Open XR not being activated… ( : Thanks again, i try to work from here.

But concerning the UE VR template, should everything work “out of the box” with the Index?

Because now, with the SteamVR Plugin, and OpenXR activated, the only thing i can do is to look around and snap turn.

When i try to teleport, with the right thumbstick (according to the bindings and setup in the VRPawn blueprint), i can only see the circle on the ground, and not the arc. And it doesnt teleport…So sadly i cant follow along the tutorial you posted.

Best,
Dave

The VR template already has binds set up for the Valve Index, I don’t believe the SteamVR plugin wraps the inputs at all. Do the controller handles generate? Are your inputs being read?

Hey, thanks for your support. I managed to get a project in which i can walk and jump. thats all i need for now. I used the VR Template from GDXR.

1 Like