How do you fix shadow artifacts from nanite software?

I’m getting shadow artifacts with a basic 261k tri sphere in the third person example map in 5.0.2 when it is a nanite object. No textures, no hardware raytracing, nothing special. I was seeing oddities on more complex meshes, but since it also occurs on a basic sphere I must be missing something. The sphere is imported as an fbx though as a non nanite object it displays as expected so I don’t believe the file is to blame.

There are artifacts both with virtual shadow maps and regular shadow maps. I can slightly change the artifacts with Position Precision on the static mesh, but even at 1/8192cm the artifacts remain. I’ve tried messing with shadow cvars as well with not much luck. Of course it will go away with high enough Normal Bias, but that is just removing the shadows and causes other problems.
Any help or suggestions to help me fix this would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

why do you need a sphere so high rez anyway?

While reducing the sphere rez down probably nanite will lose the surface perfect roundness if we can call it like this.

This may not be an issue on rock model or something else as small changes in the triangle orientations will probably not be noticed.

But on a sphere. Most likely it will look wrong. But then why not use a normal lower rez sphere?

I don’t actually need such a high rez sphere. I am seeing odd shadow results so I simplified down to the basic add > shape > sphere and was seeing this where there are artifacts along the starting edge:
sphere
It’s a known thing in the documentation and the stated fix was to increase the tri count. Hence I made a sphere with progressively more resolution until that issue went away, but now I have this current issue which I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere and have not had any luck fixing. The sphere is just a vehicle to try and show with a simple object.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s two completely different issues, but as a more realistic example this is what sent me down the rabbit hole. This screenshot is the same mesh of a bumpy surface at 1k tris and at 250k tris with a 50% grey and 50% roughness material and they both have these strange shadow artifacts.

1 Like