How do we try out DXR?

See subject.

You wait. What you saw in the GDC stream is a tech demo, it won’t run on current consumer GPUs.

Sod that I want to see it in action even if it’s 1fps.

Sounds like it’ll be integrated in 4.20 but it wasn’t clear if it only runs on Volta GPU’s or if it simply runs slower on older ones. If it requires Volta then it’ll probably be like 6 months for when the next line of GPU’s come out.

It’s all compute stuff so even if Volta had a specific optimized operation that Pascal doesn’t it still should be able to be compiled and run. Either way Volta is right around the corner.

There’s a lot of speculation that 7nm process cards will be out Q3/4 this year and that Nvidia is in production now. AMD is expecting 7nm cards around that time too and Nvidia wouldn’t let them release something unchallenged. The other thing is that both manufacturers have said that the 7nm process exceeded expectations so we’re looking at a roughly 3x performance bump.

If the stormtrooper demo was overkill with all bells and whistles on three Titan Vs then you can expect DXR to be a consumer-grade reality for a more modest simulation on the next gen of cards. I can’t ****ing wait to see it.

And RTX!..How can we try out that!:smiley:

You can’t experiment it on Unreal yet, but at 4.20. What you can do, is to go at Microsoft provided link and download the SDK. It will require that you are signed into the preview builds to use the SDK (instructions there in the link). And it will work on GPU with Shader Model 5, but the good stuff will be native only with Shader Model 6, meaning for now: NVidia’s Volta. No announcement for AMD that I am aware of.

There is this from AMD: Radeon™ Rays - AMD GPUOpen

It’s not going to be useable for a while, the demo at GDC was running on Quad-SLI Tesla V100s (Volta GPUs)

The demo at GDC was a fully raytraced scene. Games won’t be using that level of raytracing for a couple of generations. We want to see what’s going to be in games by the end of the year.

I am really interested in the film making part at this time, even if I have to get a better hardware for doing that.

For the gaming part, I think it will take a while, but once more companies are interested in the film making, all the investments will be a benefit and improve the gaming application for this tech.

If you want some more details: Technology sneak peek: real-time ray tracing with Unreal Engine - Unreal Engine

This really got my attention:

“We’re going to start integrating some of the features shown at GDC, like using ray-tracing for accurate area shadows and a new cinematic post-process for depth of field,” says Canada, “and we’ll add new components that allow us to render other effects such as refraction, and go forward from there.”

since currently the shadows are problematic (performance and quality) while in dynamic lighting scenarios, using ray tracing for it will greately improve visualization and film making. Thats great!

will this be coming by 4.20?

The info is available at this link at the Future section: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b…-unreal-engine

That does not tell me anything lol & I have read that already

All start at 4.20, but those shadow features at 4.22 which pretty much points to the start of 2019 (considering we getting 4.20 in June) from what I could understand.

**Metro Exodus teaser showcases Nvidia’s new real-time ray tracing

HOW THEY USE RTX IN PS4 GPU ?
PS4 GPU IS NOT VOLTA**

I thought that the lighting was strange in that. It really accentuates the kind of shortcuts that we currently take such as grass billboards, etc. It’s probably just not a great demo seeing as it’s literally pre-first-gen.

we cant upgrade our gpu every year :frowning: