How do we try out DXR?

Will we have the ability to bake lightmaps with this stuff in 4.20? Thats what im hoping for… id be willing to buy a titan V just to do that… then also begs the question… will the tensor cores have an epic advantage over the next 1180 consumer card if it doesnt include tensor cores… I know its volta but i thought tensor cores were the big deal.

No, DXR isn’t in 4.20 preview, and Epic has already given an estimate that we wont see any DXR features until at least 4.22.

It’s very unlikely that Epic will make features exclusive to certain hardware. It’s something they’ve already avoided, and they want the engine and editor to run best on gaming hardware.

If they do add this you won’t need a Titan V. Path tracing can be done on any compute GPU. I certainly hope they add it.

Now that Nvidia has announced their RTX graphics cards, and the fact that several Unreal Engine games have announced that they’ll be supporting DXR (such as ARK and others), it would seem to me that support might come before 4.22, as we’re still probably 6 or so months away from that release of the engine. What’s odd to me though is that I couldn’t find any mention of DXR support on the UE4 Trello Roadmap.

I think we’ve stated you’ll see some GitHub commits in 2018 and the release of some DXR support in 4.22. I also thought we mentioned GPU support for next version of Lightmass.

Duh I mised that. Where can I find info about the new version of Lightmass? :eek:

Excellent. Will it be path tracing? Please say it’ll be path tracing. <3

Here is what Juan Canada actually said:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/architectural-and-design-visualization/1471744-global-illumination-in-other-engines-unigine?p=1493653#post1493653

GPU is left as a question mark for now, we will reveal more when our plans crystalize.