How do I set up SSR Quality with the new update to 4.1?

Hey guys,

this issue really bugs me because its not really an improvement…its definitely a step back (or I totally did not see something )

In the release notes under rendering it says: “Improved glossy screen space reflections to reduce noise”

The thing is, they are a) still noisy, but even worse b) before the update it was possible to type “r.ssrquality 3” into the console command line which made them perfectly smooth. That does not work anymore and quality 4 doesnt do anything (so I guess you removed the higher quality).

Thats really a step back if you are (like me) working on a high end visualization. Even if you dont do that, quality 3 was looking sooo good that I always had it active for all the stuff I have built so far.

Can you reproduce this and was the higher quality removed on purpose? Would really like to know that (and even get it fixed )

One last thing that might sound super stupid, but is glossy screen space reflection really the right terminology? I mean they were glossy (mirror like) until you added roughness support for them with the march QA. So shouldnt they actually be called rough screen space reflections?^^ (sorry, this is just me having a knot in my brain about this )

Anyway…still great update! Thanks guys!

Maybe try to set SSR quality in the unbound PostProcess volume instead (at the bottom) ? Usually setting it to 0 will produce sharper reflection (yeah, counter-intuitive, I know :))

Yeah, I’ve noticed that the reflections have taken a step backwards - really damaging our project now…

But then, they’re not supported in Stereo, so its kind of a moot point for us.

Ha…I found it out! :smiley:

You need to do the following:

-make a post volume

-scroll down to screen space reflections

-change quality from 50 to 100

-and now the magic…type in “r.ssr.quality 4” into the console command and then it works!

The thing is…if you go from 50 to 100 in the post…nothing happens when you dont tell the renderer that it is allowed to render them at max settings, which is quality level 4.

So you need to do both and it works :wink:

Would be cool however to enable quality 4 by standart if you can tweak it in the post anyways and since the post setting is set to 50, nobody should get super expensive high quality ssr right out of the box. So I guess that would be fine :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like