How do I run my packaged project in OpenGL?

Hello everyone!

I made a basic calculator software prototype which my company will be testing to see if the benefits are enough to justify full development. I used UE4 because I cannot write code and blueprints allowed me to create a prototype despite this.

Anyway, as it turns out, some of the computers in the office are so old that their integrated graphics do not support the necessary DirectX feature level (DX11, FL 10). After searching for a while, I’ve learned that running the project in OpenGL is a possible workaround solution. However, so far I have been unable to achieve this. Every time I try (by making a shortcut to the packaged .exe and adding the “-opengl” command line) I get the following error message:

Game files required to initialize the global shader library are missing from:

[insert packaged project’s location]

Please make sure the game is installed correctly.

Obviously, OpenGL is deprecated and not available as a targeted RHI choice in the Project Settings in the Editor. Do any of you know how to fix this? Or any other way I can circumvent the hardware incompatibility?

I got the similar problem.I just hope to get a way to debug -FeatureLevelES31 -vulkan Development Game without editor,but failed due to the same factor

Have you given Vulkan a try? When UE4 deprecated OpenGL, they recommended people switch to Vulkan. You may still run into issues on older hardware though, I’m not sure

I don’t have the codebase in front of me at the moment, but you might still be able to add OpenGL back to the TargetRHIs (https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/920740/set-opengl-in-targetedrhis.html)… but if you consider yourself “unable to write code” (since you understand the logic, it’s really just learning how to ‘express’ it in a written language) you may run into difficulties very quickly.

To be honest, UE4 is really overkill for developing non-game applications. Have you considered something like Bubble or Thunkable? Possibly even Scratch?