How do I get bloom to work properly?

Hello I’am very new to using UE4, so my apologies in advance if there is an easy fix to my problem. I can’t manage to find the answer clearly enough for me to understand. I have been following these tutorials here: Intro to Cascade: Creating a Beam Emitter | 07 | v4.2 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube to just learn basic particle systems. And every time he creates something it has a natural glow on it. From what I’m understanding this is from the bloom effect and also from the material set up chain to “emissive color”. And even though I follow his tutorials step but step, the only exception being I’m in a top down template, it doesn’t work for me.

I’ve done some searching and found this link here: Glowing particles not possible now? - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums but I don’t know which “color picker” he means or what they are talking about with the “V” value either. This could be just differences in engine versions considering the post is old. Like I said I’am very new to this, so sorry in advance if this is too vague or just a simple fix. Thanks!

Note: I believe I found the V value he was referring too. Which would be in the color picker for whatever particle system I’am editing. And if I’am looking at the right one the max value is 1.0 and it’s already set to that.

there have been some changes in 4.15 that might change the amount of glow/bloom, and its always wise to follow a tutorial on the version the person in the tutorial is using. (even if its not always clear)

It would be helpful if you’d show us an image of your material setup and its settings so we can guide you on how to change things in a satisfactory matter :slight_smile:

Here is an image for the “beam” set up: Screenshot - eff03b7b117a8206141bff23df6c79ad - Gyazo

And here is one for the “sparks” set up: Screenshot - 67904b79351b82c66191efa51b4d4aaf - Gyazo

Hey Bmore.

What are the values you are using for your ribbons color?
any value above 1 starts the glow/bloom.

In some cases you want values up in the hundreds for massive glow, other times you find a low value will already get you.

either change the initial color, color over life, or scale color module’s RGB value to be above 1 (either R, G, B is fine) and the glow will initiate.

Alternatively you could multiply the wire thats going into emissive color and multiply it with a value of 10 or more.

Okay so I seemed to have fixed it for both instances by unplugging the gradient from the emissive color chain and turning the “B” node up for the multiplier. I’m not sure if this is the correct way of doing it, but it seems to have worked. If you have any more input or a better way to do this I’m all ears haha. Thanks a lot for the help!

Luos, can you point to the changes/change log re: bloom in 4.15. I too am getting different results.

google: ue4 4.15 changelist…

if it works, it works.
thats my motto :stuck_out_tongue:

anyways, be sure to accept the answer for future reference.