How do I fix these bad shadows on the edges and seams of certain objects? UE 5.2

All of these objects had perfectly fine shadows from the marketplace asset I got them from. Then I spent 3hrs and a bunch of electricity baking lighting only to find these ugly shadows / black seams showing up. Before I started the lighting build, I set the lighting quality to Production…

I am using UE5.2 with Lumen, reflection Method is Screen Space, Shadow Map method is set to Virtual Shadow Maps (beta)

For reference, the assets are from this market place pack - Art, Fashion, Automotive Galleries and Showcases in Environments - UE Marketplace

They do not have the issue when I create a new project with them. Did I mess up some global lighting setting? The lights in the scene are static, not dynamic. Anyone know whats going on?

I figured out part of the issue, my project has a main menu with video settings that let me switch the Global Illumination from Lumen to Screen Space, it was set to Screen Space which was set in the game save, this created the bad looking shadows. Once I set it to Lumen it looked fine.

If anyone knows how to fix the shadows for Screen Space global illumination, let me know! Maybe it’s an issue with the mesh or UV?

Post Process volumes can also forcibly set the Global Illumination type FYI.

Hopefully this helps someone else!

Here are the console commands if you don’t have a settings menu:

set r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod takes a value of 0, 1, 2 or 3
set r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod 1
^
This will set Unreal to use Lumen for it’s Global Illumination method.

By default, it is set to “1” which corresponds to “lumen”. The methods, as listed above, are None (0), lumen (1), Screen Space (2), Standalone Ray Traced (Deprecated) (3)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.