How do I fix my font?

Hello,

I’m currently following a tutorial for creating a simple game and I stumbled upon an issue (possibly a bug?) that I have no idea how to resolve.

I’m using a custom font for my UI and the font itself is not the problem, because I tried the same thing with other fonts too and I keep getting the same issue with most of them.

When I import the font into the Content Browser, it’s immediately visible.

303099-cb-screenshot.png

When I open the font though, it has no issues, it looks fine!

The real problem is that the issue comes in-game too:

303101-score-bug.png

When I’m using the default Roboto font it’s displaying the correct score with a “space” symbol. When I’m using this font and some others, it gives me this “missing symbol” thing and I can’t understand why. Not only that but the guy from the tutorial (Greg Wondra) gets a comma (,) symbol after the first 3 symbols in the scoreboard and I have no idea how he did that since I’m following step by step and I’m using the same font.

I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked so far, so if anyone has any ideas - please tell me!

Thank you in advance!!!

Are you using this node to convert your score to text?

303108-int.png

No, he never used it in the tutorial so I didn’t even know it existed. Should I use it? Where do I plug it?

Oh, wait, it’s not in the Event Graph, but in one of the Functions and was automatically created, that’s why I couldn’t remember this node. So I DO have it. What now?

OK, I think I found out what symbol is it trying to put there and since it doesn’t exist in the font - it puts this “missing symbol” thing. It’s the underscore “_”, but I have no idea why it puts that particular sign

1 Like

i had this exact problem trying to show score, heres what fixed it for me.
open your font and add a fallback font to it. click “show engine content” if its not on.

Probably you are using a non-commercial version of the font, it’s a common practice between font artists to put strange symbols in common characters (space, numbers, apostrophe, et cetera) to discourage the usage of the free version (that should be a trial to show how the font looks like in your project)

You can edit these symbols with programs like Fontlab but you’re not allowed to use an edited font commercially.