How can I organize PhysX particles into a static mesh shape?

Hey Artistical -

UE4 does not use the PhysX Particle System that has to be licensed from Nvidia directly and can easily import into UE4 once the asset is created through developer’s software. However, UE4 has its own Particle System called Cascade. For what you are wanting to do through, I would re-import your static mesh as a Skeletal Mesh (Rigid Options checked, you will not need bones for this). In Cascade there is a Location module called Skel Vert/Surface where you can spawn particles on the surface of the imported Skeletal Mesh.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Hello. I have a 3D model (that can be imported as a static mesh) and I want to create a Physx particle system that has the same shape as the 3D model. How can I go about doing that? Thanks.

Any reason why we can’t have this for any static mesh?

No idea. However, this is not what I meant Eric. The answer you gave me (and by the way, sorry for late reply, I found a workaround which I’ll explain later) simply causes particles to emit from the surface of the mesh. What I need(ed) is(was) a way to set a particle field in the shape of a static mesh.That way, I have the particles forming a 3D shape (the static mesh shape) that can be blown away, or use the mesh to create things like the glowing bricks in The Fifth Element :slight_smile:

Anyway, my workaround was using a masked material that had the particle design I wanted, and use a World Location-based panner system that works well enough to create the illusion. I would still like to know if such a thing is possible to avoid doing the material trick. It works, but it’s not the same.

No idea. However, this is not what I meant Eric. The answer you gave me (and by the way, sorry for late reply, I found a workaround which I’ll explain later) simply causes particles to emit from the surface of the mesh. What I need(ed) is(was) a way to set a particle field in the shape of a static mesh.That way, I have the particles forming a 3D shape (the static mesh shape) that can be blown away, or use the mesh to create things like the glowing bricks in The Fifth Element :slight_smile:

Anyway, my workaround was using a masked material that had the particle design I wanted, and use a World Location-based panner system that works well enough to create the illusion. I would still like to know if such a thing is possible to avoid doing the material trick. It works, but it’s not the same.