How can I get SteamVR Input to Generate Axis/Action Input Correctly?

Hello again,

After getting my issue with Having the SteamVR Input Toolbar Option show up (thanks to), resolved, I have come across this issue now.

The Input for the project is setup as so (with bindings shown for the actions):

(Know that there is a binding for the Vive controllers, for each of the Axis Mappings too).

Even after pressing the options available from the SteamVR Toolbar (shown below, in order, from 1-4),
it would not generate the additional Axis-Mapping for MoveForward/Moveright etc. (As per this bullet point from the Major Notes section, of the article available at: Quickstart · ValveSoftware/steamvr_unreal_plugin Wiki · GitHubVector2 Actions - As Unreal doesn’t have a concept of a Vector2 action we auto group two vector1 actions with names that end with _X and _Y. For example, to create a mapping for MoveLeft you will need a MoveLeft_X and a MoveLeft_Y that you bind to their corresponding controller axis. See the sample inputs for an example. (SteamVR Input Menu - Add Sample Inputs)').

The controller bindings are as follows:

As additional Axis Mapping have not been generated by the SteamVR Plugin, testing the game at the moment, leads to the Player only being able to move forwards, while being able to yaw to the left (the Action Mappings work just fine though).

Could anyone let me know what my issue with SteamVR not working correctly could be?

I will provide further information, as required.

Thanks in advance.

The documentation explains it kind of poorly, but the idea is that you add an axis mapping for each axis in the UE4 Input menu, using identical names and the _X and _Y suffixes. This makes the SteamVR plugin combine them into a single SteamVR action.

As an example, this is a setup for two 2-dimensional movement actions, one for each thumbstick. The MovementLeft_X and MovementLeft_Y combine into a single MovementLeft action for the left controller, and the same with MovementRight for the right one.

bild

1 Like

Hi,

Ah, so one has to have the Axis Mappings setup themselves, then when these are setup appropriately, the SteamVR Toolbar methods should generate the correct bindings for the controllers.

I will have to try this later and I will let you know how I get on.

To clarify, VR-Development is new to me, specifically, using the HTC Vive headset and controllers.

Hence why I am posing, what should be quite simple issues to resolve, to those in the know.

Thanks again for your input though, :slight_smile:.

Alright, after trying this out (and tinkering around with it a bit), it works as intended.

I will have to work with the LookUpRate and TurnRate axes (MoveForward now allows for moving forwards, backwards, leftwards, rightwards and any combination of those four directions*, to any degree :slight_smile:).

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:.