High resolution display support for editor

Im having the same issue with 1080p monitor the editor fonts are quite small , i used widget reflector but single issue with it is I CANNOT SAVE THE APPLICATION SCALE so when restart the editor i have to set it again. EPIC PLEASE GIVE A SAVE & USE OPTION FOR APPLICATION SCALE.
Thanks

Hi UnrealMurtz, please see the post for instructions on setting up High DPI support: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/feedback-for-epic/9533-high-resolution-display-support-for-editor?p=893044#post893044

I hope this helps!

Will modern display resolutions ever be properly supported, i.e no messing around with shortcuts and no blurry icons?

Hi folks,
i had the issue with the resolution/scaling inside the Unreal Editor for a C++ Project based on the FPS-template. It occured out of nowhere, at least i cannot say what was the trigger. I tried enabling “high-dpi” as explained before but it didn´t work. The scaling adjustment in the widget relfector seemed to work but not for every widget. Because not every widget was affected with this low resolution bug and so these widget which weren´t affected now were scaled down to much. Weird. Lirum Larum. I only wanted to tell a possible another solution. I deleted the “Intermediate” and “Saved” - folder inside my project-folder and after restarting the project in Unreal everything was set back to normal.

Edit: I had also to regenerate the “Visual Studio project files” by right clicking in the BLABLA.uproject - file

thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I believe High DPI is working by default now in the latest version of UE4, so you shouldn’t have to add the flag to the shortcut as described above. I haven’t verified if all bugs have been cleared though.

High DPI is not working for me yet. In 4-21.2 it looks like this:

Problem occurs both on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.14.3, on either (4 GB of VRAM) or iMac Pro (16GB of VRAM)

(I made the window very small)

Well from that picture it looks like the correct size. Do you have your Windows scaling set to 125% or larger?

This screenshot was taken on a Mac with display in HiDPI mode.

Here’s a screenshot of an UnrealEngine and a Unity window side-by side (Unity has HighDPI support).

Oh, well I have no idea if it’s working correctly on Mac. I’m only on a Windows machine, sorry. BTW, does Unity personal have HighDPI support now? The older version I have installed didn’t and it was quite terrible to work with.

Unity has been supporting HiDPi on Macs since 5.4 (released in 2016), including personal edition.

The DPI problem with UnrealEngine also occurs on Windows (I tried on BootCamp). If DPI is set to 200%, viewport is pixelated, just like on Mac.

Oh okay, thanks. I had Unity 2017 installed but no clue how to enable HDPI on it. I hope Epic gets the wireframe sorted out for you. Maybe it’s a compatibility error with your gpu on the Mac? I have an Nvidia GTX 970 and wireframes look fine (more like your Unity screenshot).

I think the HiDPI support in Unity for Windows was only added a while after support on Mac.
​​​​​​
The problem doesn’t only occur in wireframe mode, but any view, but it’s most visible in wireframe.

In a nutshell, when I have a window that covers 1000x1000 pixels, UnrealEngine looks like it only renders 500x500.

Since you mentioned your GPU, I tried on a different machine and it’s the same thing. This is from a Windows 10 computer with a GeForce 1060 driving a UHD display. I just downloaded the latest stable 4.21 UnrealEngine. Here’s a screenshot. The fonts in UnrealEngine are sharp, but the viewport looks pixelated. It’s essentially the same problem as on a Mac with display. (since the forum only allows 500k, I uploaded it somewhere else).

It’s hard for me to tell if that’s “off” or not. My system is running Windows 8.1, and I’m on a QHD monitor (2560 x 1440) so I don’t know if either of those things makes a difference. Maybe UE4 can’t handle resolution scaling at 4K properly? I don’t think it’s needed anymore, but out of curiosity, did you try the Highdpi flag on a shortcut for the Editor?

What scaling is your system set on? On windows, you can set arbitrary scaling steps. On Mac it’s either “Retina” (which means 2x) or not (and if the resolution isn’t sufficient, it’ll be downsampled).

Is the “enablehighdpi” the same thing as the “enable high DPI” setting in the editor? It seems to be enabled by default but it only makes the fonts sharper. The viewport stays as it is.

Hi, my Windows system is 125% scaling (works well for a 2560x1440 screen). Didn’t actually know there was a switch for HDPI now in the editor, so yes, that would likely replace the flag (which was a temporary work-around). I think I may have just found out what your issue is though. If you go to Edit > Editor Preferences > and type DPI you will see all the available settings. Under “General > Performance” there is a setting to “Disable DPI Based Editor Viewport”. If you hover over it you can see the tooltip explanation which states using this setting will disable automatic adjusting and render at the full resolution of the viewport. When I toggled it on, it definitely made the wireframes less pixelated. This might be what you’re looking for…

OMG!!!

You are my hero!

This has been bugging me for years and I simply wasn’t aware of the fact that this checkbox existed. I don’t know why this isn’t a default setting.

This works! Look at this high-resolution glory! Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Awesome, I’m so glad it worked for you!! I didn’t know the setting existed either, so thank God for showing it to me. Now both you and I will be using that setting on all future projects. Hopefully it will help others too. :slight_smile:

Didn’t work for me :frowning:
Can I at least save Application Scale settings so I don’t need to set it every time I launch the editor?

AppScale.PNG

1 Like

My eyes say THANK YOU!