High Quality Terrain Asset Pack & Tutorial Series

Right on , glad to see some scenes are set up to learn from. I appreciate you considering us small time folks with pennies in the bank, I will be supporting you as soon as it is possible.

@ - Put up on Gumroad - If you do I will cross promote for you for free.

I have allot of connections in the game dev world. Not as many as epic but still. I will cross promote your work. :slight_smile:

That said - Here is the link to Gumroad

Here is their pricing model -

• From Gum roads signup page.

That said Gum road Help page.

and from the sounds of it you need every bit of help and dosh you can get. :slight_smile:

I hope that I can be of help. :slight_smile:

• HeadClot

Cheers HeadClot, I appreciate your help as i have no connections in the game dev area. is my first foray into game dev, I normally just do graphic design work and websites but been wanting to get into game dev for 10 years.

I had some encouraging words with Epic about getting on Market place soon as possible but their having to build some new dev code to be able to provide multiple asset packs under 1 price scheme, but they have offered to get done and use my assets internally at Epic for testing, seeing what breaks. So ill be getting these all sent of on disc to Epic HQ in the coming week.

@Headclot, Your a star bud!. If Gumroad accept assets by disc (not by uploading as at 50GB it would take me weeks to upload on my hotspot wifi connection). Yeah im financial **** right now, Im having to sell my laptop, Blade server and EMC storage array to get bills covered month. So if anyone wants an EMC storage array with all software and legit license (also flight case if needed but that’s worth £150 just on it’s own so make offers reasonable please), also have an IBM Blade server with intel zeon that will have to go. Drop me a message on here if your in the UK and willing to come and collect.

I don’t forgot the people that help me out, I really need the community to support me on one. If i can sell 100-200 units ill be OK. It’s really £300-£400 of content but only $45 so as to help all in the community and game dev get access, but i need large volume sales to make it worth my while. Cheers Guys.

[;159085]

I had some encouraging words with Epic about getting on Market place soon as possible but their having to build some new dev code to be able to provide multiple asset packs under 1 price scheme, but they have offered to get done and use my assets internally at Epic for testing, seeing what breaks. So ill be getting these all sent of on disc to Epic HQ in the coming week.

[/QUOTE]

Hey , Just wanted to clarify - the problem we’re experiencing isn’t about providing multiple asset packs under 1 price scheme. We can handle that with the current set up. The problem is in the logistics of handling 50GB+ files - downloads, builds, distribution all becomes much more complicated with such large files. We’re not writing any new code or anything to resolve - since your submission is the first one we’ve had that is large, we’ve agreed to use your asset pack as a test case to understand if our current pipeline can handle asset pack files of enormous size. It is still very likely that we can’t process it through at time - but we should hopefully have some more info for you after we try.

-deke

Hi Deke, Now im a bit confused. The following is what said to me:

“We don’t currently have the functionality for bundles yet, however - we have a rough implementation in our dev environments that we would be willing to test sort of functionality out on.”

Ive already explained to that it’s a ridiculous idea to create 1 50GB file download and he agreed, not including the problems your end. It would turn 99% of people off the idea of downloading. So the idea was to have 5 separate packs of 10 maps at 10GB each. Or even better would be 50 seperate downloads of 1-2 GB each, under the 5 pack type headings but sold under 1 Price for all. That was what was saying to me, that you don’t have the code ready yet to have multiple downloads for 1 priced asset. Basicy what i want is the whole 50 pack to show on market place as if it was one asset as such just like everybody else’s but when purchased instead of 1 download link appearing that 5 (or better 50) do with text descriptions of each download under the heading of one of the 5 terrain pack types.

What you think?

Cheers

[;159085]
I don’t forgot the people that help me out, I really need the community to support me on one. If i can sell 100-200 units ill be OK. It’s really £300-£400 of content but only $45 so as to help all in the community and game dev get access, but i need large volume sales to make it worth my while. Cheers Guys.
[/QUOTE]

Hey man, can’t wait to see on the marketplace!! :smiley:

Personally I would gladly pay $20 for a 10 map pack, or $15 if you really want to go that low, would solve the 50gb and maybe even help you out more if they sell better way, but I totally understand your reasons for the 50 map pack as well. Completely up to you just thought I would mention it in case the large pack is delaying the release.

Anyways, good luck my friend, I don’t have the connections Headclot has, so the only way I can help is buy the pack when I can! :slight_smile:

Edit: VOTED! Yay finally :smiley:

just noticed the 50 Terrain pack is now listed on Trello. Please go and vote for it! Cheers J

50 High Quality Terrains & Video Tutorials for $45

[;159118]
Hi Deke, Now im a bit confused. The following is what said to me:

“We don’t currently have the functionality for bundles yet, however - we have a rough implementation in our dev environments that we would be willing to test sort of functionality out on.”

Ive already explained to that it’s a ridiculous idea to create 1 50GB file download and he agreed, not including the problems your end. It would turn 99% of people off the idea of downloading. So the idea was to have 5 separate packs of 10 maps at 10GB each. Or even better would be 50 seperate downloads of 1-2 GB each, under the 5 pack type headings but sold under 1 Price for all. That was what was saying to me, that you don’t have the code ready yet to have multiple downloads for 1 priced asset. Basicy what i want is the whole 50 pack to show on market place as if it was one asset as such just like everybody else’s but when purchased instead of 1 download link appearing that 5 (or better 50) do with text descriptions of each download under the heading of one of the 5 terrain pack types.

What you think?

Cheers

[/QUOTE]

AH- That is slightly different. We are currently able to set up offers where we can bundle multiple items under one price. BUT, you would still need to download all these items at once. is correct - you can’t pay one price for multiple items and then download a la cart as you describe. We also don’t currently have plans to work on for the foreseeable future. Again, there are no other submissions that currently come anywhere near the file size of yours.

We’ll continue to work with you on problem as best we can to try and find a solution. We’ve added your submission to the public Trello board now, so best of luck there!

[;159159]
just noticed the 50 Terrain pack is now listed on Trello. Please go and vote for it! Cheers J

[/QUOTE]

Upvoted :slight_smile:

[;159159]

[/QUOTE]

Hello .

Congratulations on getting there!

Looking at the work so far I can say you are covering mostly the workflows. That’s a great thing for people like me who are new to UE4 and I’ll certainly have an eye on here.
But the look of the terrains are still far from a triple A work, and yes I know they are WIP images so no worries. As a CRYENGINE terrain creator and a newbie to UE4 I can say I’m definitely looking forward to see your tutorials on . :slight_smile:

A small reason for me being here today is that CRYENGINE simply did not take any step towards improving terrain/huge outdoor support since 2007. There are a lot of things to do when making terrains/huge outdoors for games and I believe UE4 and Frostbite 2/3 have improved very close together on the subject. You can guess from that my primary reason to be here is because UE4 have very similar tools to Frostbite. lol

For example things happen on terrain are:

1. Applying a base texture (Acting as color information layer)
  2. Making art consistent between detail textures to blend nice with each other. (PBR ready of course)
  3. Applying detail textures using splat map
  4. Painting on top of detail textures that are applied using splat map
  5. Setting up the textures to look good under the global lighting
  6. each detail texture fading into a different bigger texture when getting far from it + reverse and etc.
  7. Making 8k maps and doing all sort of optimization regarding terrain to maintain a really good FPS.
  8. Painting vegetation on terrain using masks

Generally, I think your ticket to heaven is to make 1 terrain, use it in a level and do what I wrote above. I feel like you are under a lot of pressure doing it, 50 terrains aren’t easy to do even if it’s basic setup. Instead you can focus on fewer terrains but get much farther with them.

http://images.fpsguru.com/articles/images/3000/2536/BF3%20Armored%20Kill%2001.jpg

Making that in UE4 is very simple because the tools to do so are all there and you don’t need to struggle doing things you want like I did in CE.
For someone who knows the workflows I think you won’t have any major problems achieving that quality. And we’ll also follow and support you.

Hoping to hear good news on .

Best regards,
Alireza.

[;159085]
Cheers HeadClot, I appreciate your help as i have no connections in the game dev area. is my first foray into game dev, I normally just do graphic design work and websites but been wanting to get into game dev for 10 years.

@Headclot, Your a star bud!. If Gumroad accept assets by disc (not by uploading as at 50GB it would take me weeks to upload on my hotspot wifi connection). Yeah im financial **** right now, Im having to sell my laptop, Blade server and EMC storage array to get bills covered month. So if anyone wants an EMC storage array with all software and legit license (also flight case if needed but that’s worth £150 just on it’s own so make offers reasonable please), also have an IBM Blade server with intel zeon that will have to go. Drop me a message on here if your in the UK and willing to come and collect.

[/QUOTE]

I will have to look at Gumroads TOS and what they accept.

That said - I sent them a tweet - You can follow it here.

Hey Alireza,

Yeah I know the pain of Cryengine, For Example i think i was probably one of the first to try to get decent large environments working. Tried the engine for nearly a year before realising Crytek never meant for small time Indie devs to succeed with their engine. All they wanted was to slow down the take up of Epic tools. I was a UE3 Indie Dev before moving over to Cryengine with the promise of large environments and Indie friendly release system. To then never receive a reply from them about getting a release license through their so called FREE sdk that was anything but free. Also pointed out the lack of Platform support other than PC, The **** support and constant engine breaks with every release.

They then told me were ban you if you continue to make our engine look bad, Got in a massive scrap with their forum staff. Then after saying right that’s it i have had enough of **** i refuse to use cryengine anymore and posted my test levels on the forums for others to learn from SUDDENLY as soon as i did so someone else (who to their credit DID contact me and ask to use my work which i said yeah help your self lad, Obviously crytek are never going to give me a release license) released my EXACT map 99% the same but had added a few assets from the crytek examples and Crytek then posted it on their front page News page under someone else’s name with a sentence giving me credit.

Proper lost my temper at that point and demanded MY work be removed from their news page immediately (made me furious how id been showing work on the forum for months, but only got recognised once i made clear i would never use cryengine again). Much fighting ensued behind the scene’s which they then took down the news post from their front page and banned me for life from their forums (can’t say that was uncalled for after what i said to those **** sucking *** holes by mail).

was some dev work from 1-2 years back:

Rant over, These terrains were never about trying to create finished scene’s like you’ve shown above from battlefield 3 (though i do have them but that’s for my own projects). These are Terrain canvases, there’s no point me adding tree’s etc and other assets because i have no idea what the end user wants to use the environment for. It’s up to you guys to add the foliage and assets and tweak things for what you need. That’s also the point of the Video tutorial series ive done about using different maps from the map mixed together through Blender 3d. Then Baking out you new maps to create something brand new an unique that nobody else who bought the map pack will have.

I could of built people completely finished terrains with foliage assets etc etc, but what’s the point in that? I can’t build you a game, im trying to give you the base to build a game how YOU want and need it. Ill be their for people who buy the pack but i can’t be everything to everyone. You have to do certain things for your self. If i tried turning these 50 terrains into finished scene’s like from battlefield 3 it would be 12 months work for no good reason. Im not having ago, but please try to understand was never about giving users a final environment, Just the means to make it.

Cheers, J

@ - Gumroad got back to me today - Check your Inbox for their contact info :slight_smile:

I did not ask for 50 complete maps. I suggested if you finished one map up to production quality that’s showing how everything is done regarding “terrain” that level can also be a good source for looking at it and learning.

Cheers.

Hi,

Sorry if i came across rude, That was not my intention i probably just worded things wrong. Ill be setting up 3 examples with lighting, Post pro, Shaders for each one of the 5 terrain types packs so people can just dive in and see how i do things. The only thing i havnt added is specific foliage and other world assets so that people can chose what they want to add in.

Yep your right about getting an example done to production level to show what can be achieved, Im working on that at the monent with a racing game set-up within. Once ive got sorted out ill put more time into getting that finished as a tech example. Hope i didnt offend you in any way, My apologise if i did.

Cheers J

Hello,

Personally I don’t know if I can paint foliage using splat maps on terrain (and kind of time saving approaches), that’s why I brought up foliage example. Not to expect you just to paint foliage on a map. Your art really is fantastic and everyone would definitely give a shot if they want to give their project a head start.

I hope to see more from you.
I definitely support .

Thanks for the time.

Hey Guys, After serious problems trying to get file size down low enough to sell in 1 pack it just couldn’t be done. So their will now be 5 seperate packs sold so file size can be managed and Epic bandwidth isn’t destroyed.

Ives also decided that because i have to sell in 5 separate packs i needed to provide EVEN more content than before. Each pack will come as a terrain style (e.g Sandy deserts, grass/rock mountains etc etc) and each pack will have 20-25 terrain per pack. So were looking more like 100-125 overall through all 5 packs. Im now just creating the pack Brochures to show the maps within each pack for previewing.

Here’s the first completed, finishing the rest up now so tomorrow should have links to all 5 packs brochure PDF for previews.

Pack 1, Sandy Desert’s VOL 1:

http://www.badlamagames.com/Images/Desert Terrain pack1.jpg

PDF Download: Sandy Deserts VOL 1

Sending Harddisk with all files to Epic UK weds or thurs. Then were ready to go.

Cheers J

http://s8.postimg.org/xph51269d/Bad_Lama_Badgesmall.png

Ohhhhh Dear, Ive been going through my content and have FAR more than i thought i did. 30 Maps i thought id lost, turns out i didnt. The following pack will be cut down to 20-25 but is only half of the grassy terrains ive done so may become 2-3 packs :slight_smile: . Always nice when you get the pleasant surprise of finding things you thought you lost.

Terrain Grassy/Rock Pack 1 (will be edited before final evaluation)

http://www.badlamagames.com/Images/TerrainGrassyrocks1new.jpg

PDF Dowload: Terrain Grassy/Rock VOL 1

Desert Rocks Vol 1: (another 8-9 versions not shown as cooking food and can’t do everything at once)

http://www.badlamagames.com/Images/TerrainDesertrocks1.jpg

Preview PDF Download: Desert Rcoks Ver 1

I have money again why you - D:

But seriously great work.