Hdri Backdrop

Hello,

I am testing the HDRIBackdrop, but I am not getting the results I would expect. This is a HDRI with a clear sky, so it should give sharp shadows, instead there is no direct ilumination at all:

what I am doing wrong here?

Hello !

I’ve never used the HDRIBackdrop addon before but from what I know of HDRIs, and after I read the documentation of the pluggin itself, it confirms to me that you need a light source for that.

The HDRI just gives you the “Ambient”, the reflection and the soft lights, and that is something really amazing, but for the complete effect of a defined sun and shadows, you’ll need a light source.

Just create a Directional Light with Casting Shadows attribute and you’re good to go!

I hope it helps you!

1 Like

Ok thank you!, I have not understood that from the documentation and is sad that HDRI are not fully working by its own!!

1 Like

Even with a directional light, I get the same artifacts on the shadows of the directional light…I still thing I am missing something with HDRI Backdrop…does anyone know if there are quality settings somewhere hidden, or if I have to set the HDRI map in a particular way in order to get correct illumination from it?

with directional light

only HDRI

I already followed the documentation with no luck on getting usable results

Thank you

Hey @Idgi!

It could be how you configured your HDRI for your scene. I found a non-Epic affiliated tutorial on adding HDRI and configuring the lighting in your scene with it.

Import and use HRDI’s in Unreal Engine 5. Light and add depth to your scenes.

I hope the above solution works for you!

thank you for your answer! Sadly HDR is correctly configured with no mipmaps, HDR compression mode and sRGB is deactivated and resolution set to 4k…also it is the epic games HDRI that comes with the plug-in…