HacknPlan, the Trello for game developers

Excellent!!!

That would be massively useful. right now just have to keep adding comments.

Hi guys!

I added some new features to the application today. The most important ones are sub-tasks and milestone sorting, along with some visual improvements.

You can take a look here: http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-4-2015-11-25/

Cheers

Great tool! Crossed fingers for backlog and user stories!

Will definitely write about this @shootertutorial

Hey,
i worked before with OpenProject and i like its possibility to create a hierarchy for my tasks equivalent to your subtask. But the problem i see is that the subtasks in Hacknplan only have a title, they don´t have a own description for more detailed info.
Maybe it is veryful to create a hierarchy with your created tasks (not subtask) to define parent tasks and child tasks. With this hierarchy is see the vantage to build a clear structure.

A second thing which would be very useful is an e-mail notification when something was edited/updated or get assigned.

Yes, I see the advantage of what you mean. However I want to be a bit careful with that and not overcomplicate the tool, I think simplicity and clarity is one of the strong points of HacknPlan. In the future we will provide add-ons to extend the core application with more functionality for people who needs more than the core tool, and this would be a good candidate for that. A think you could try is the game model feature, it allows you to create a tree structure of high level topics and assign tasks to it, maybe could partially solve your issue.

Regarding the notifications, we are already working on that. We will provide an activity stream and a notification system that will be configurable to allow UI and mail notifications. A first version will come out soon and we will be iterating on that during the next months.

Ok thanks for the tip, i´m really new to hacknplan so yet i don´t know every feature about it.
But i think it would be more practicable for us when the subtask would have more fields to enter information.
Maybe a title and a short description, this don´t must be as complex as the normal tasks are.

Hi there,

I’m back with some updates about HacknPlan. We have launched the first version of our notification system this week, you can read more about it at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-5-2015-12-21/

Cheers

My trello board used to get too chaotic. Now that’s a christmas present!

Hi fellow devs,

I have written a post in our blog summarizing the first months of life of HacknPlan and also giving an overview of our business model and the features that will come this new year. If you are not using HacknPlan yet but are following the progress of the tool, I’m sure you’ll find this post very interesting and will clarify many things.

As a recap, two important announcements:

-We have removed the limit of 10 users per project, so HacknPlan is now free for any number of users and projects. As we explain in the post, we will monetize the service via subscription based add-ons with extended functionality that will have a fixed price no matter how many users your project has.

-We expect the full official release of HacknPlan for the second quarter of 2016 (we are currently in beta phase). That release will include all the core features announced for the core free version plus the first add-ons.

Really good tool! I always felt that Trello was missing too much for software development management.

Thanks!

Thanks, I’m glad you like it!

Hi guys!

A new version of HacknPlan was released yesterday, including a new global board containing all the tasks of a milestone, a redesign of the board layout and many improvements for the mobile version of the site.

http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-6-2016-01-20/

Cheers!

Hi guys,

We have updated the application today, including file attachments, board pictures and task cloning. You can check all the changes here.

you guys are doing great , loving the tool keep up the great work!

i’m using you app but not regularly because we need mobile app

The website has a mobile version but yes, we don’t have a native app yet. We will have it as soon as we cover the basic functionality.

this will be awesome then :smiley:

Hi guys!

We’ve deployed a new version of the tool. You can take a look at the details here.

Great start you guys have going. We just signed up yesterday and our working our way through and planning out this weeks prototype using it. It certainly helps getting things going a little smoother when the system provides a good structure and flow.

A few suggestions so far, if you’d prefer we email our thoughts more directly I can compile the teams and send them as a group as they come in.

• Model Elements: would be really handy to be able to clone or copy an existing one, or have Elements that are sub-elements default to their parent Category etc. A little annoying to have to set the same things over again when you have a batch of them under one parent.
  • Might want to add interface or HUD element types.
  • There needs to be a way to express relationships like (Related to, Blocks/blocked by, etc) other tasks. While sub-tasks are a good way to break down a complex task into sub-tasks, there are some cases where a task might be blocked by a feature or bug etc and you can trigger off these cases.
  • On the board it would be useful to be able to Collapse Cards down to a simple one line box, as when you get a lots of tasks it makes for a very long scroll.

Will add more as we think of them.

Thanks for your feedback! I’m glad you like the tool.

All the suggestions except the last one are planned and coming very soon. For the element types, we are going to allow to customize them, so problem solved :slight_smile: About the last one, I didn’t think about it, but it’s actually a great idea. I will add that to my backlog.