GPU crash during a movie render

Hello,

I have a “GPU Crashed or D3D Device Removed” problem everytime I try to render a clip/movie from UE5.

I tried lowering the framerate to 30.

I am not sure if the official UE5 tutorial to fix this problem is relevant because it’s also about lumen and lightmass rendering which work for me without crash.

I don’t have MSI afterburner as well.

It’s a annoying crash because my work is done but I can’t render anything out UE5.

Any ideas to fix it ? I have a RTX 1070 an a lot of free space.

Hey there @Sabranise! Welcome to the community! This occurs sometimes when the TDR limit trips. Since you tried most of the other recommendations you may have already changed that limit, if not try that.

If not, try getting a bit more GPU overhead from trying some of the things in this thread (not just me):

I know you can’t go from DX12 to DX11 and keep Lumen so ignore that recommendation from that thread.

Is your GPU maxing out during the rendering process?

Hello thanks for answering ! I will try and see if it works.
The TdrDelay didn’t work.
And I am lost on how and what to use as for the debug commands. I am trying to work out Visual Studio & WinDbg.

Here’s some additional info about the crash. Maybe you may be able to know what’s the issue ?

Here’s the crash report by UE5 :

Crash report

and sometimes it’s a bit longer :

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 868] CurrentQueue.Device->GetDevice()->GetDeviceRemovedReason() failed at D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Submission.cpp:910 with error 887A0006

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Here’s what I found in the Crash Folder of Windows :

[2023.01.18-13.52.09:259][625]LogD3D12RHI: Error: CurrentQueue.Device->GetDevice()->GetDeviceRemovedReason() failed
at D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Submission.cpp:910
with error 887A0006

Yeah my GPU is almost maxing out during the export. As well for my CPU, SDD and HDD.
!

I hope it helps to understand what happened ?

This helps a bit, as it corroborates what I believed was the issue before. It seems that the renderer is using more resources than your PC can handle and crashing itself in the process. How complex is the scene you’re rendering? At what frame rate/resolution? What are your specs if I may ask?