Going mental over a single specular highlight.... HELP

Ok, guys, I’m going mental here. Let me explain my scene:

It’s the night, over the ocean, and I must have a generalized blue light in the sky, which is coming from a singular moonlight source. That’s fine. It works. It appropriately scatters beautifully into the atmosphere. The volumetric clouds are stunning. I’m using the water system, and for the life of me, I cannot get things to STOP having a specular reflection of a light that is not supposed to be there but needs to be so the scene is not pitch black. Lumen is utterly incredible, but I need my scene to not fundamentally look like this. I’ve been through materials, through the water, through the directional light, and NOTHING allows me to get rid of this simple specular highlight.

Please take a look at this quick video that outlines the issue.

I don’t knwo the precise steps but I’ve read around the forums a few days ago that you can set lights to affect only certain objects. So for the direction light see where is the option to affect certain objects in game and remove the water from that list. Or add it to excluded list. Should be something with the tags or something. sorry for not being of precise help :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to fix a similar issue for two days too since I’m new to ue. No one seemed to have an answer.

The sun reflection wasnt being blocked by objects or the landscape. What fixed it was changing the engine scalability to medium or higher (esp for shadows). Shadows didn’t seem to cast when it was on low.

Then I messed with settings like lumen n rt n the issue was back. I started a new project n only enabled the settings I wanted :

Everything lumen in project settings
Hw rt
Use hw rt when available
Enable rt, dx12 etc

And in the post process vol I change the reflections n their shadows to Ray tracing n turn up their bounces.

The issue hasn’t shown up yet n everything is working good. Except that the landscape is lit even when every light is off maybe coz it doesn’t support lumen.

But since yours is a gully night scene maybe you can move the sun out of camera n ignore the reflection.

Another thing I found which didn’t work was going into directional light n searching for specular n then turning it off.

Cast shadows will occlude the specular reflection of lights, for landscapes this is easy, you just enable far shadows on the landscape/directional light. Problem solved.

For most materials, enabling cloud cast shadows in the light will remove the specular reflection when it is occluded by clouds.

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to work for Single Layer Water (or Forward Translucent) materials. Even Specular Scale doesn’t work. Not sure why…

Each source of light has SPECULAR HIGHLIGHT intensity, turn that from 1 to 0. search in details panel.