Getting Grass Material to Recieve Environment Shadows

Ok this one is a little hard to describe, but I hope you’ll be able to see what I mean with pictures. So here’s my working grass model/material put on a landscape. The problem is that inside the area that is shadowed by the cube, the grass is the exact same shade, and is not receiving those shadows at all. I want the grass to properly shade with the shadows and light-levels it is in.

As you can see, I’m putting the main color into emissive. My suspicion is that emissive doesn’t actually calculate shadows at all, but my material is still set to default (not unlit), So im hoping there’s something I can do. The reason i’m not using the base colour input (which would calculate shadows), is because it looks hideous:

Any help either getting the emissive material to properly display shadows or getting the base color to not have such weird lighting glitches would be appreciated. For reference, here’s the grass plane I’m using in Blender:

I believe the weird lighting on the base color material is due to the mesh’s normals. But Blender doesn’t have any way to rotate vertex normals, and any plugins for that purpose aren’t working (I’ve looked hard). So right now im at an impasse, I want to have nice, evenly lit grass like in the first image, but also want it to properly react to shadows. Once again any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ok after some deep digging and hours of scratching my head I figured it out. It was in fact the mesh’s normals that were causing the shading ugliness on the base color material. The trick was to make every vertex normal face directly up. I achieved this by having to download Blender 2.8 (long-time coming) and using it’s new normal editing features that were previously missing from Blender 2.79. The result is uniform shading along the entire grass mesh while still being able to react to shadows in the environment. Case closed.