GeometryCollection->EnableNanite->Mesh disappears, how to fix?

Hi,
Steps to reproduce:
1- New 3rd Person Project.
2- Select blue cube.
3- Open its mesh → Enable Nanite.
4- Create GeometryCollection for that blue cube.
5- GeometryCollection → Enable Nanite.
* Blue cube disppears. *

Another steps to reproduce:
1- New 3rd Person Project.
2- Select blue cube.
3- Create GeometryCollection for that blue cube.
4- Open its mesh → Enable Nanite.
5- GeometryCollection → Enable Nanite.
* Blue cube disppears. *

Why is the GeometryCollection disappearing?

Version: 5.1.1-0+++UE5+Release-5.1

Below are screenshots:

Hey there @zgzg2020! If the mesh was nanite before the transfer to geometry collection it should have the nanite enabled by default in the geometry collection. I can’t seem to replicate meshes disappearing.

Are they still there but not rendering or are the actors gone entirely?

Hey @SupportiveEntity , yes you are right. If I enable Nanite on the mesh beforehand, geometry collection has Nanite enabled by default. But, once I create a geometry collection on a nanite enabled mesh it will disappear as well.

The geometry collection remains in the Outliner, but It seems like I can no longer interact/collide with it in the world. As you can see in the picture, the character moved to the geometry collections location (0,0,0), but no collision occurred.

Bump

That’s interesting! I can’t replicate the issue, so let’s see what could be occurring. Are you currently running your project in DirectX12 Shader Model 6? I know nanite has fallback for SMs but not sure about geometry collections.

It’s DirecetX12, but not sure about the Shader Model. How do I check it?
___01

Head into your project settings and check if SM6 is enabled in here, and also verify your RHI is on DX12 here as well.

The only way I could replicate the mesh not appearing thus far was to be on DX11, then there’s no nanite fallback for the geometry.

Thank you for the follow up.
I checked the settings, and they appeared as follows:

I then ticked SM5, and restarted the editor. But, unfortunately the problem still persists.

Hrm, that’s interesting! Does this occur for every mesh you try this with? Can you replicate this in fresh projects?

Yes.
This is a fresh project. I tried with blue cubes, and the white cube shapes, and both of them disappear. Here it is happening with the default chair mesh. Furthermore, it happens with both 5.0.1 source and 5.1.1 source.
By the way, does Nanites improve chaos performance in anyway??

I’m still entirely unable to replicate this with the stable launcher builds for 5.1 or 5.03. Does dropping the same geo collection in again produce any different results? Can the nanite visualizers see anything at all?

And that is a great question! It depends on the size of the chunks, in theory nanite makes rendering them better if the chunks are really multifaceted, but how much I couldn’t say. Since they are kind of already instanced meshes, they are pretty performant rendering wise already, less so for every other portion of chaos since it’s really heavy and constant physics.

I’m not sure what that means. Could you give me steps on how to do that?

Where can I find Nanite Visualizers?

So basically, Nanites wouldn’t help chaos’ performance much?

Apologies for the inconsistent terminology. It more or less meant that placing another copy of that geometry collection into the world to check if it’s still intangible. (it likely will be).

The nanite visualizer:

It’s more of a theory based on where Nanite gains performance at, as I haven’t tested it. There could be other optimizations under the hood I may be unaware of. Though I do know much of the weight of the destruction system is because each of those pieces are getting nonstop physics and collision checks, and Nanite is almost exclusively a rendering tech.

My original tests to reproduce your issue failed, however I am seeing some oddness with a nanite Geometry collection I tested it with where the materials are now pitch black, however it still functions and the visualizers still see it fine. Might just be a bug based on the early Nanite integrations. That said, may I know your system specs? Being unable to reproduce this bug on my side it’s likely environmental.

Hi @SupportiveEntity ,
Sorry about the late reply.
I select the Nanite Visualizer, but nothing changes :s
I am also receiving this warning message everytime I open UE5. The same warning appears when I make a new project and select “Ray Tracing - ON”.

Missing support for advanced rendering features:
This project attempted to launch DirectX 12 with the SM6 shader format but it is not supported by your system. This will prevent advanced rendering features like Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps from working.

______02
______03
______04

Any hints on the cause?

@SupportiveEntity
I found this as well.

Ahhhh there lies the issue, you’re only capable of working up to Shader model 6.5, and i believe Nanite now requires shader model 6.6.

I see. Well can my shader model be upgraded to 6.6?

From what I’ve read the GTX 1050 TI should be capable of SM6.7 so possibly! Verify you have both windows and GPU drivers up to date, some GPU manufacturers even have control panels to update/change settings.

I just updated the GPU driver but with no avail. The shader is still stuck at 6.5.
Is the shader updated from a control panel?

I’ll have to do a bit more research, from my quick glance before the GTX 1050 TI models are capable of up to SM 6.7 and DX 12_1. What operating system and version are you currently on?