Game crashes on launch on android? And android package is so large?

The full release was made public about an hour ago. Be sure to give it a go and let me know that outcome of your testing. If you hit any large package sizes, be sure to let me know so that I may further investigate.

Thanks!

Ok sweet!

I’ll let you know how it goes once I get home :slight_smile:

Ok so the packaging size is smaller, in the case of packaging all together it is quite a bit, but ETC1 is only about 5/6 the previous size.

The game also still does not work on my phone :frowning:

I was working on your project a little bit more and have been able to get the packaging size down to 85 MB. Is that the packaging size that you have been seeing? (I used ETC1)

Also, where is the error occurring exactly? Are you able to get the app on the device? Are you getting a failure when deploying? I just want to be sure to test all cases of where the error may be occurring.

Thanks!

Ok, so when I package the project in the full 4,7, with a few new assets that I’ve added, it packaged to ~210mb on ETC1, when I package for AndroidALL it’s only ~360mb, whereas prior to 4.7 it was ~320mb ETC1 and ~960mb for ALL.
The error seems to be occurring during installation to the device as it has an error, however when launching to the device from the editor, not a batch file, it doesn’t have an error but still doesn’t work.
I am able to get it on the device but it instantly crashes when I try to open it.
Also, could it the be the audio that’s making the file size large?
As the audio is 25mb, about half the content size?

Hey WarLord,

There is a possibility that the audio may be causing the large file size. i have not seen this occur for any other project but it may be issue that would need to be addressed. Would you be able to package the project without having the audio in the project? I wouldn’t fully delete the audio but just remove it from the project and see if the packaging size becomes smaller.

I am also unsure of what you have added to the project.

I know before you were having an issue when trying to pull the monitor logs. If you attempt to get the logs now, would you still be running into the same problem? Since the application is crashing on the device and not on the deployment, these logs would be extremely beneficial. If the have the device hooked up and the monitor open, you should generate logs in that program.

if you do test this, please be sure to let me know so that I may be able to further assist you with your project.

Thanks!

Ok, so I tried packaging without the audio and the files created totalled only 2mb less in size.
I also followed your instructions again to get the logcat, however no logs were created after I launched the game on my phone?

Thanks.

Since the updates to the new versions of UE4, are you able to package a blank template project and deploy it to your mobile device? and if so, What is the size of that project once packaged?

Thanks.

I have always been able to package and deploy blank projects successfully, and so the newest version is no different. The size of the blank project packaged in 4.7.2 is ~60MB with no starter content.

However I have just noticed that in the packaging one of the messages that comes up a bit is ‘the compiler should be updated’.

Is this an issue, and if so, does it lie with the engine or my javaSDK install?

Would you be able to attach that log so that I may be able to further investigate? This would help me to see the errors that you are seeing when packaging.

Thanks

Which project? The blank project or game project?
Also which log, as there are multiple logs in each project of course.

The game project would be the best to look since it is the project that is causing the issue.

As for the logs, the build logs would the most beneficial. This will give me a better idea as to what may be occurring.

Yes, I thought you meant the build log, but there are no logs with the word build or cook or anything in them in the saved-logs folder, there are just a few dated ones along with two other non-dated?

Try deleting the following directories:

/Binaries
/DerivedDataCache
/Intermediate
/Saved

These are all generated by the engine and should be safe to remove.

I noticed I had another similar problem to you and regenerating these fixed it.

Thankyou for trying to help but unfortunately deleting these folders did not impact the packaged size at all. :frowning:

Howdy WarLord,

I wanted to keep you updated about the packaging size. There have been numerous reports of the size of Android devices and how the size has grown over the past couple of release builds.

We have entered JIra Report UE-11388 about Android Packaging sizes being too large. I am uncertain as to when this issue will be resolved but I will be sure to keep you updated.

Thanks!

Ok thankyou :slight_smile:

Hey Warlord,

Just wanted to keep you updated. UE-11388 has been looked into an is slated to have a fix implemented in version 4.8. Unfortunately it is not going to make it into a hotfix but it is being worked on. I am still unsure as to when this version will be released.

Again, I will be sure to keep you posted as I know more.

Thanks for your patience!

Thankyou :slight_smile:
I really hope it works.

Hey WarLord,

Just wanted to keep you updated as new builds are being released. I would not update your project fully yet as all there currently would be is preview builds of 4.8 and those builds can be very unstable. I will be sure to keep checking packaging sizes as new builds are being released.

Thanks for your patience!