Game crashes on launch on android? And android package is so large?

Where are the ‘build failed’ logs located and what is their naming convention?

Might be worth trying:

Make sure you have no JPG texture materials.

I found they worked fine everywhere except when trying to run on an Android device.

Epic, this may be a bug. I am using UE4.6.1 and publishing to a HTC Google Nexus 9. My offending JPG textures were 2048x2048

Regards,
James

Thankyou for replying, however I have no .jpg’s in my project, so that is not causing it.

Just found out PNG have this issue.

I suppose it is caused by the compression in each formats.

I am also getting crashing when using masked textured materials… : |

There was a user experiencing a similar issue with the same error message that you are seeing, They were able to fix the issue by opening the SDK Manager in “C:\NVPACK\android-sdk-windows” and downloading all Tools. After that they were able to build there project.

Hey Warlord,

So i have just had a chat with a developer about the issue and may have found what can help with your project.

First, The textures in your project are causing the HUGE size of the project. If you open up each texture that is 4096x4096 and change the LOD Bias to 3 or 4, it will decrease the size of the project dramatically.

Second, when packaging, the SDK is having issues locating the correct folder. It seems to be trying to reference ‘ProjectName’ instead of ‘Project_Name’. Create a new project with no underscore or space and then ONLY paste over the Contents folder. This may help with the packaging process.

Let me know if this helps with your project any.

It also seemed that in every folder, when transferred over, there was a desktop.ini file. This .ini file was causing the project to fail building for me. I had to go in and manually remove every Desktop.ini file in order to package.

So I tried your advice of lowering the LOD bias to lower levels that still look good, and it lowered the packaged size from about 1gb to 150mb for ETC1, however upon trying to package it onto my phone it still doesn’t work.

And also, even though the packaged size is way smaller now, its still no where as small as I think it should be and as it needs to be, why is my project still 150mb when TappyChicken is like 8mb?
I still don’t understand since it’s still the same size when I package it from a previously Tappy Chicken project? And also, shouldn’t the relative contents size in the packaged project be smaller since UE4 compresses files upon packaging?

Hey WarLord,

Sorry about the lack of a response. i have been looking into this issue and sent you a new zip file with the project I have been using to test. If you are unable to package the project, please be sure to include the build failed files here so that I could further investigate.

Thanks!

Howdy Warlord,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you had a chance to test that zip file that I sent your way. Let me know when ever you get the chance.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I have tried opening your version but it never actually has any assets in it, even though the assets and data exist in the files?

http://i.imgur.com/MiiyGSr.jpg

I have just uploaded a the content folder and shared it with you on the forums. You should be able to replace the current content folder with this one. Let me know if it works or you come across the same error.

Ok, so I was able to open it and it packaged fine, however it outputted at the same file size as my version.
PS. I think the reason why the game is not working might be a compatibility issue with my HTC One M7? But that still doesnt explain the super large file size.

Would the texture LODs be at that large size once again?

I have also checked about the compatibility of the HTC One M7. Is is currently not on our list of Supported Devices, but this does not mean that the device will not support projects though. It just may up below expected graphically wise on the device.

All of the supported devices or shown on the Android Device Compatibility sheet located on our Wiki.

Thanks!

No, the LODs were at the settings I set, so it was outputting at that size, but it is still really big (250MB) and not working on my phone.
I still don’t understand why it doesn’t package as small as Tappy Chicken, since it has the same sized contents folder.
And as for the issue with my phone, when I package onto my computer and then run the file it creates with my phone plugged in, it opens up, then just stops doing anything, and if I try running to my phone in the editor, the cooking either stops right near the end, and doesnt fully complete, it completes and it doesnt run on my phone, saying ‘Apple Tap stopped working’, or it just fails packaging.

Would your phone be experiencing a similar error on your device when you package and deploy a blank template project or would this be project specific?

Ok so I packaged a brand new project and it worked fine on my HTC One.
However I noticed that the size of the packaged project was 63mb, for the standard project? Why is that even so large?

Hey WarLord,

I just wanted to let you know that I have reached out to a fellow developer for a better clarification on what could be occurring. I am unsure as to when they are going to respond but I will be sure to update you as soon as I receive a response.

Thanks!

Howdy WarLord,

I have just received word that the packaging size issue has been addressed and will be included in the 4.7 release of UE4. I am unsure as to when this release will be made public as we are still working to better this release at the moment. I will keep you informed as I know more.

Thanks!

Ok awesome!
I eagerly await the full release :smiley: