Game crashes on launch on android? And android package is so large?

Three things first, if you don’t mind:

1. If I delete these folders, will UMG still work as I am using it in my project?
  2. As far as I know, I am using all the assets contained within my project as I only ever imported what I was going to use?
  3. On that question they said that ‘make sure you replace them otherwise UE4 won’t open next time.’ But Tappy Chicken opens just fine, so why does it package properly?

Thanks.

I am unsure as to whether i have previously asked this, but are you curently pacakaging the project for Android (all) or for a different Android setting?

If you are using Android (all), i would highly recommend trying to package for Android (ETC1)

Hey Warlord,

Deleting these files should not have an impact on your project, but I would test this out to be 100% sure.

This is true, but the engine has preloaded content that a larger project then expected.

Tappy Chicken has been stripped bare so that it basically requires nothing to download that project.

I have asked for a bit of additional information in the post below. If possible, please let me know if trying that helps at all.

Thanks and have a great day!

I am packaging for all, but packaging for ETC 1 still creates a massive file.

Hey Warlord,

The next thing I’d recommend is looking in the project directory for Saved\StagedBuilds\Android_ETC1[package name]\Content\Paks for a pak file. This is the result of the cook and packaging.

There is a utility call UnrealPak.exe in the Engine/Binaries/Win64 directory. Extract the contents of the pak file using this tool:

unrealpak [full path to pak file] -Extract [full path destination directory]

This is everything included in the OBB so you can see if there is content that shouldn’t be included and what size they cooked to.

Thankyou for the idea but when I try opening unrealpak.exe it flashes for an instant and does nothing, and when I use cmd.exe to run the unrealpak [path]… it says an error [‘unrealpak’ is recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file]?
What is going on here?

The error seems to be with when trying to run it. Is it being ran from a command prompt with a proper path to the unrealpak.exe?

I have managed to extract it after changing directory after restarting but upon completion it says it was completed successfully but no file was created in the destination?
PS I have viewing hidden items enabled

Hey WarLord,

Sorry about the lack of a response. I just wanted to keep you updated with the issues I am having currently. So I reopened your project and and I am unable to package your project on Android on the 4.6.1 version of UE4. I am going to see if I cant try it out again later and package your project. I will be sure to keep you updated.

Thanks!

The minor delay in your response was fine, don’t worry about it, and thankyou for helping me so far :slight_smile:

Howdy Warlord,

I thought i responded back to this issue but i must of been mistaken. So i have attempted to change a couple of Blueprints around so that i may be able to deploy the project to an Android device and have been unsuccessful. I was able to get the project to deploy to an iOS device. I have been able to see the errors in the Blueprint Widget when updating the project to a newer version of UE4. After doing so was the way i was able to deploy to iOS. I am going to keep trying to deploy to Android and i will be sure to keep you posted.

Have a great day!

Ok, So I finally got the project to deploy on my HTC one device. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I opened a brand new 2d template project in 4.6.1 and then closed the project

2. Opened Windows Explorer and the transferred over all of the content from the project you sent me and then transferred it into the new project, replacing the existing folders

3. Went back into the new project and changed the Project settings to this set up:

1. Made sure that the project ran in the Editor.

2. Packaged and deployed to the HTC one

The project size was 100MB.

Let me know if this helps with your issue.

Thanks!

Thankyou for replying, however this did not fix my issue.
As I said previously, it seems as though the issue has to do with my assets, as no matter what project I put them in, it always becomes a massive project, despite the fact that besides the music, the content folder is only about the same size as tappy chicken’s.

Would you still be merging in your project into Tappy Chicken or would you be using a default 2D project template?

That time I tried both a blank template (which is what it was created in) and I also tried using the 2D sidescroller and deleting and replacing the contents of it, neither worked.

I sent you a private message, via the forums, to the project you have created and i have worked on a bit. I just want to see what happens when you attempt to package. Be sure to let me know if you run into any errors.

Thanks!

When I try packaging the version you sent me it gives me this error:

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): Program.Main: ERROR: ERROR: cmd.exe failed with args /c "C:\NVPACK\apache-ant-1.8.2/bin/ant.bat" -quiet debug
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): copying UAT log files...
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): BUILD FAILED

Would you happen to have ‘For Distribution’ checked in the Project Settings>Packaging section? (I apologize if i missed this in a previous comment)

No, neither in my version, nor the version you sent me was it ‘for distribution’ I’ve always had it on development.

Would you be able to attach your entire Build failed log? This may help to decipher what may be occurring.

Thanks!