Freedom Locomotion System Presentation video – what I hope is a game changing VR locomotion solution

Kind of sounds ideal for Spider-Man’s “webzip”

Hi everyone.

I’ve released the demo. Link in the OP, or click here.

Give it a shot, let me know what you think.

No plugin available yet. Substantial work required to refactor and make it game ready (I’m assuming other developers want something that goes in and works, not something they have to figure out how it works so they can rewrite it for their game).

Thanks for the link! I’m downloading it now. Is there a reason that this file is so massive? EDIT: Maybe it’s to fit the HUGE ROBOT :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m curious about your intentions to release it as a plugin now. Isn’t the source for it currently in blueprint using my plugin as a backend? Do you intend to fully convert it to c++?

Okay, so I finished downloading the huge file and extracted it to reveal a 2.76gb file. When I run the exe, I get spawned into an initial menu area that asks me to stand in the corner of my playspace and push a button. After that, nothing happens.

No. I’d have to essentially figure out a way of doing it without your plugin, which will take some time - the core elements are reliant on it, but I wouldn’t say that the system is heavily reliant on it.

That sucks bad (first report of this happening). PM me your email and I’ll send you some save files that’ll hopefully get you past the issue.

Are you running this on the Vive btw?

You could likely arrive at the same result in blueprint using a method like Jonas uses, moving the character to the headset (others use this as well).

That is relieving though, I was worried you would use a locked version of the plugin and I would end up being technical support for users of it across incompatible engine versions.

No worries! Your plugin was a great help. But yeah, it was never my intention to use it as a release product (just this tech demo).

Just tested this with Oculus Touch and already love it. The basic functionality works.

That said the hands do not align properly with the Touch controllers, the menu button doesn’t work, I couldn’t seem to climb or grab turn. That said I would still consider it a must have.

I also completely agree with your philosophy of wanting to have an experience that feels like it came out of a book for film. Too many games go with a specific formula/gimmick that results in a lack of depth and dependence on repeating the same experience.

Let me know if there’s any feedback or testing you need.

Yeah, I suspect once I actually build it out properly for the Rift, it’ll feel better than it does on the Vive - because the analog stick works better with this then the touchpad, and there’s an extra button to mess around with.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve updated the demo to 1.1.0

There are substantial improvement to the system, with the big one been the redesign of the CAOTS movement code, that allows for a calibration system to help fine tune the system to your movement.

There are also much improved comfort options.

Give it another shot - especially if you weren’t too impressed by it previously. Hope the update changes your mind!

Any news? I hope the feedback has been good.

Pretty good. Haven’t gotten as much feedback on the new version as the initial release after the hype died down, but a number of people got back to me to tell me that CAOTS is much improved, and even a few comments stating that this was the best in-place locomotion they’d experienced.

I’ve been busy the last few weeks doing non-development stuff, and also adding Rift support - which is coming along well, but has numerous small issues to contend with to make it work as well as the Vive version.

How is the Touch version coming along? If you’re not busy playing Robo Recall :wink:

Hey :slight_smile:

It’s pretty much done. Gonna be doing final testing, then going through the steam upload hoops to get it out. Hopefully in the next day or two.

Thanks for waiting! :smiley:

edit

Uploading with my pokey Australian internet connection… it’s slow going! Plus there’s a verification thing that steam have to do after I’ve uploaded. So it’ll probably be more like a couple more days from now at this rate.

Hi all.

I’ve released the Steam version of this demo. It’s also fully compatible with the Rift now.

Just tried it out, it’s nice to be able to actually climb with Touch now. Something doesn’t feel right to me about walking now, as if there’s a lot of pauses/stutter stepping. Jogging and Running seem fine though. Also would like to see more options for displaying the grid. When I was climbing the robot for some reason when I got to a certain height the grid would not go away even when standing at the top. I didn’t have any comfort issues but did find the grid box very distracting at times.

I tried set it up to closely match the built in guardian system, but it’s almost like I would need to be able to the whole “box” forward or backward for a good match or alternatively the ability to scale the sides individually instead of mirroring front/back left/right.

Planning to go back and try the old demo to see if I liked walking better there.

Hey ,

Yeah, I’ve been getting a lot of comments about the walking motion. I may have over corrected in favour of a more 1:1 feeling of motion. Simple fact is when your foot lands, your HMD stops and reverses in direction, and that’s going to cause a momentary halt in the velocity. I tweaked it on the basis of feedback from a couple users of the old demo, and felt that this was quite a nice feeling (1:1 control, even with the stoppages in motion), but it seems that there’s actually a greater preference for more continuous motion.

So I’ll set the default back to what it was in the next patch and maybe offer an option for that and let users tweak it to their hearts content.

I like this a lot! Briefly tested it with Oculus & Touch. Feels more natural than teleporting, no problems with motion sickness up til now. Also the extra exercise is welcome. And for people not wearing the hmd, its funny to watch people walk in place :slight_smile:

Would be really nice if at some point this would be a plugin for Unreal to use it in Archviz projects.

Great job !