[FREE] Procedural Rope Bridge

@ULLS - Can’t wait to try the updated version :smiley:

Interested on this but the download link is broken or the download isn’t available anymore?

Firefox can’t find the server at www.fiveleggedlizard.com

Hi Rami, I’ll try to get this fixed tonight.

Hello everyone, I have now uploaded version 0.5

In this version I have stripped out some of the old meshes and replaced them with slightly better ones, exposed a damping parameter to stop the bridge going crazy and added a Boolean which when disabled stops it from automatically calculating the distance using the line trace (set bridge length using max distance instead) as this was causing some people problems when the max distance value was set too large.

The demo map showcases a bridge complete with collision enabled cables (cables made using the bridge blueprint).

I struggle to find the time to make regular updates as I’m busy working on my game project and working my day job but I will keep adding features when time permits.

Enjoy!!

ULLS

:cool:

Hi! Would you help me? I’ve got this error, when I start your project:

MachineId:6307CCD1474E20184B0A2588FA0AC9B5
EpicAccountId:95f52c0771c44d5dbd3b89e629b03174

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.9\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 77]
Ran out of memory al

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:354]
UE4Editor_Core!FGenericPlatformMemory::OnOutOfMemory() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\genericplatform\genericplatformmemory.cpp:78]
UE4Editor_Core!FMallocTBB::Realloc() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\malloctbb.cpp:99]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!TArray<FString,FDefaultAllocator>::Empty() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:1570]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:1199]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\packagefilesummary.cpp:220]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FPackageReader::OpenPackageFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\packagereader.cpp:37]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::ReadAssetFile() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:422]
UE4Editor_AssetRegistry!FAssetDataGatherer::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\private\assetdatagatherer.cpp:186]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:74]

I can’t open it. :frowning:

It says you’ve run out of memory and also says you are using 4.9, are you using the old version of this project? The latest version is a 4.10 project so you’d need to upgrade the engine version if your using it.

The old example map project had some problems but I should have sorted it out for the new one.

What are your machine spec’s? how much ram do you have?

I’m happy it’s more stable than the previous versions, I must admit I haven’t really tried doing massive bridges for a while…I’ll give it a try tonight and see what I can achieve.

Hi Champion, glad you liked the look of my dragon project, noticed the link saying procedural bridge and thought, ah, that could be cool. You see I’ve now got my procedural landscape to spawn floating rocks, making it more interesting to navigate the skies, was thinking about the idea of adding some procedural bridges between, might be tricky to calculate when they are close enough at run-time without tones of un necessary checks but possible I recon, would definitely look very nice seeing bridges crossing the gaps in the air, especially if they responded to physics as you flew into them! Ill check out your very handy looking blueprints later in the week, lots to do atm though.

Hey, give it a go…it’s not all that performant though. One day I’ll get round to re-writing this as a plugin. :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile:

looks interesting and thank you for sharing…
but why rar…???

not gonna install another app just to unzip it :frowning:

This looks really good would it work with 4.13?

I expect so although I’ve not tried it yet. Give it a go and let me know if you run into any issues :slight_smile:

Sorry…

I’m not sure why I chose .rar over .zip, on Windows it is one less click for me to create a .rar archive than it is to create a .zip one so that is probably why.

How have you survived all this time without being able to unpack a .rar archive?

I’ll probably upload a 4.13 version of this and when I do I’ll be sure to choose .zip (or upload it to a GIT repo)…

Thank ULLS -

I eventually caved in and installed an extractor for some other stuff that was using it too…

The reason I hate RAR has nothing to do with RAR itself - just that I got burned by some crappy bloatware RAR extractor back in Windows 7 days that inundated me with ads…and I swore to myself to never install one again.

Anyway… Thanks again for uploading and sharing :wink:

sorry can you give me a link to the newest version i get an error trying to open it

Use 7zip or IZArc - they can both do RAR files.

small personal project I was trying to recreate a scene from the movie Sourcerer. In Max but now I am thinking of doing it in UE4 am I crazy? This is where a 6 wheel army truck crosses a rope bridge in a storm. Do you think I could use your rig for something like this or just stay in max for it? my scene test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV60Br0vFRw. The best I could do in max was rig the bridge but it does not react to the vehicle. So thinking maybe could try UE4.

small personal project I was trying to recreate a scene from the movie Sourcerer. In Max but now I am thinking of doing it in UE4 am I crazy? This is where a 6 wheel army truck crosses a rope bridge in a storm. Do you think I could use your rig for something like this or just stay in max for it? my scene test Hanging Bridge slower longer - YouTube
or 01 basic scene test - YouTube this project is 1% done.

It should be fine to use this for such a project. (Sequencer is amazing for this so no, you aren’t crazy)

You’d need to replace some models and may need to tweak some physics settings to get it looking right but it’s definitely possible.

Good luck!! :slight_smile: