[FREE] Procedural Rope Bridge

Beste idea I heard since a long time… I’m gonna join you! :wink:

Meanwhile I patiently wait for your next update. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Hey there, if you have a minute, I have an issue. (Sorry.)

I’ve been playing around with the bridge BP, customizing it in some ways, and I can’t seem to switch out the plank mesh without ruining the collision detection. Whenever I switch the mesh to one of my own and I go to move my character onto it, the bridge freaks out, launches my character a million feet into the air and crashes the engine. I’ve tried fiddling with the Mesh Mass Scale, which appears to dilute the effect, but doesn’t fix things. Are there some measurements I should be aware of?

In the meantime, of course, the planks you’ve provided work just fine, so I’ll stick with those.

I hope I’m not biting into your relaxation time.

Looks pretty cool ULLS! Hope to mess with it soon! :slight_smile:

Hi, Glad to hear you are playing with it. The first thing I would check is the actual collision volume on the mesh you are using, make sure it isn’t larger than the mesh itself. Also, the physics constraint node has some settings that may help. I have been a bit slack in uploading the updated version which auto detects the size of the mesh based on its collision volume. If I recall, I also fixed another bug in this where disabling the posts didn’t actually remove their collision volumes. This might solve the problems you are having…I’ll get it uploaded this evening.

Thanks! I’ll be uploading a newer version this evening which fixes a few issues so I’d recommend waiting for that. :slight_smile:

Hey, that worked! Well, it helped a bunch, at any rate. The bridge is terribly wobbly, but now it doesn’t freak out. Thanks! Looking forward to the update this evening.

Great! I’ve didn’t get a chance to upload it last night, I’ll aim to get it done this evening instead.

Very nice.
<— could use that.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi all, I’ve uploaded the latest version, this release adds the automatic mesh size detection and fixes a bug or two. I made these changes a couple of weeks ago and haven’t had time to test properly so if you do encounter any problems please let me the details and I will fix and upload.

:slight_smile:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

For the most part things work better than ever.

But when I run the game in standalone mode – or open the level from another level – the bridge explodes into a maelstrom of spinning boards. When I disable the bridge’s physics there’s no problem – unsurprisingly. I’ve tested the issue with my customized planks-and-settings and the default planks-and-settings, and both explode.

When I disable the posts, however, the bridge is fine. Furthermore, when I check the posts and completely disable their collision, the bridge is fine. So, clearly there’s something wrong with my posts and their bounding box, but I have no idea what. I’ll keep tweaking them – who knows, I might stumble upon something – but I thought you should know. Maybe you have advice for me.

Again, thank you for your hard work.

Yeah, it sounds like this is a collision issue. Have you downloaded the latest version and are you using custom posts?
Within the editor you could show all collision volumes to see if there is something overlapping any of the planks. I’d be happy to take a look for you if you wan’t?

Set up the posts with a Custom collision response in their settings, and make it so that they won’t collide with whatever group the rest of the bridge is made of (may need to set custom settings on the rest of the bridge physics as well though).

Looks great! Thanks! :slight_smile:

I just thinking about how I was going to make this type of bridge. Thank you so much for this.

No worries, you may run into issues though so be warned.

To maximize performance you’d ideally make a single static mesh that has a few planks (maybe 3 -5) hard linked, this will minimize the amount of constraints that are used without affecting the overall bridges flex behavior.

There may be bugs and stuff too so if you run into any problems please let me know so I can fix them. In fact, I haven’t looked at this project for two months so I’m not sure how it performs (or even works at all) in 4.8.

Wow I can’t wait to try it out! Thank you for that!

You’re welcome BrightSoul!

…Please be aware that this was made in version 4.7 and may not work in the subsequent releases, if this is the case pm me and I’ll get it fixed up :slight_smile:

or you can just update the post so i can have a copy :smiley:

Hi Andrew, it should open fine in 4.10 but I did actually spend some time updating this project and will look at getting it uploaded soon. If you’re interested, I’ve updated some of the meshes and textures, added a Boolean which (when disabled) prevents it from automatically setting the distance and I’ve made some stability changes to the physics settings. I intend on fixing a few other bits and bobs before I upload the project. Keep an eye on this thread over the next few days :slight_smile: