Font Features and Happy 2017! - Jan 5th - Live from Epic HQ

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/2016/4_14/image_33.gif

WHAT

Happy 2017! We’re welcoming back the Unreal Engine livestreams with a special feature with Kuhlenschmidt. He’ll be on to show off the new UI Font Outlines available in 4.14 and also briefly talk about a new 4.15 update he’s working on. Plus we have a lot of news and spotlights to catch up on and some updates for the community in 2017! We can’t wait to see you all again in chat, so come on down and say “Happy 2017!”

WHEN
Thursday, January 5th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE

WHO
Kuhlenschmidt - Lead Tools Programmers

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks!

Archive:

:rolleyes:

Off to a great start :stuck_out_tongue:

wow! that’s just Epic! -> Epic!

I thought we got over the animated flames, I CAN’t TAKE THIS ANYMORE :stuck_out_tongue: But happy new year!

I’ve been missing around with Fonts in UE4, and lately i came out with this [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Graffiti System that could soon be for sale:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caNlBpmmWg

Question:
Right now text with font outlines is restricted to UMG/Slate. Are there any plans for true in world 3D rendering of text with font outlines?
Essentially something like TextRenderActor but with outlines. OutlineTextRenderActor?

It would be nice to render outline text “in world” for VR applications.

Yes it is possible to use the Widget component to bring UMG/Slate in world, however each widget component is a render target so if you wanted to have multiple pieces of text in different 3D locations, that would require multiple widgets which would kill performance pretty fast.

It seems like most of the hard work has already been done for the UMG/Slate support, all we need is a OutlineTextRenderActor that creates and positions quads for each glyph and fetches them from a font texture cache either based on (or directly use) the one built for the runtime cached font system in UMG/Slate.

This could also have the added bonus of enabling in world rendering of RTL languages (Arabic, Hebrew). These languages are not supported by the existing TextRenderActor since that uses the older offline cached font system.

Just remember to Alt+F4 and you’ll be fine.

Nice! I hope they have fixed the AnimBlueprint problem in 4.15 =D

[Question] How can I add gradient font material to a “Runtime” font, or conversly how can I use a Offline font in normal UMG widget?

I caught most of the stream. It was great, thanks!

Will it be online at some point? I barely caught the end :frowning: Also, Thank you so much for these livestreams, it’s always a pleasure seeing you guys. Happy New Year!

You can get replays from Twitch (latest one). Only found this out myself a few weeks back.

Twitch streams are also uploaded to youtube
/featured

although they are a little behind schedule this time of year because of holidays

In my experience, the youtube channel is always a little out of date. (2-4 weeks behind). I often catch livestreams after-the-fact, and I prefer youtube over Twitch archives. But I typically can’t watch it on youtube, because it isn’t there yet.

@CleanCut - they take a bit to upload sometimes although usually within a few days

but I’ve also had problems watching the Archived Unreal Streams on Twitch before too.
wouldn’t show at all, nothing but a black screen although oddly the commercials seemed to work fine, go figure, huh. :wink:

My biggest problem with twitch replays is that voice/video is occasionally off-sync by ~0.5s and it’s less responsive than youtube. Twitch replays do include the chat, which is nice though.

Maybe you can bring the Background Blur sooner?

It’s already live on GitHub and slated for our next release (4.15 Preview 1). Unfortunately, it’s not really feasible for us to get it out any sooner than that.

I have a question. It was discussed a bit and it is off-topic as well. How is the HP bar in Paragon rendered? Is it a UMG on the ui or is it a UI component on top the mob?