Foliage empty bounds, dynamic navmesh stuck

Hello,

I’m using Procedural Foliage. My navmesh is dynamic. The landscape is built using world composition and some “ground” meshes are added by a generator.

LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y0.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y0:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y5.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y5:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_1)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y2.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y2:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_CactusResourceFoliage_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_CactusResourceFoliage_C_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_1)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_CactusResourceFoliage_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_CactusResourceFoliage_C_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4.Volcano_Height-505_x5_y4:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_1)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y3.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y3:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_StoneResourceFoliageComponent_C_1)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y3.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y3:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x4_y1.Volcano_Height-505_x4_y1:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x5_y0.Volcano_Height-505_x5_y0:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponent_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1.Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C_0)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1.Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C_1)
LogNavigationDirtyArea: Warning: Skipping dirty area creation because of empty bounds (object: BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C /Game/MainGame/Maps/Volcano13/Volcano_Height-505/UEDPIE_0_Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1.Volcano_Height-505_x7_y1:PersistentLevel.InstancedFoliageActor_0.BP_DeadTreeResourceFoliage_C_2)

I have simple box collisions on the mentioned foliage.

What should I do ?

Thank you so much !

Getting this also, I’ve checked the number of the meshes throwing the error and all look fine to me.

Weird, right ? All the foliage components using meshes with custom simple collisions (simple box) seem to loose their bounds. When I move in the level, they are visible and their collisions work. BUT the AI character (using an invoker) have trouble generating the dynamic navmesh.

For me its a bunch of random static mesh objects placed in the map. I get a huge flood of the warnings when building the project. I’ve tried changed the collision or in some cases removing it completely but nothing seems to change.

1 Like

Did you make a bug report ? I’ll probably make one but I’m still wondering if they changed something … We need a better documentation with advises about how to optimize AIs and Navmesh, what costs what etc…

Now it’s really weird. I removed any foliage from the map but the errors are still here. Is there a cache in dynamic navmesh generation ?

When I do not initialize the procedulpanel in the construct function, I will report such an error. I guess it is because ue calculates the Bound when the actor first joins the scene.

Did you guys ever get to the bottom of this?

I have never had an issue using nav-invokers.
You may want to look into that.

In fact, they correctly react to the environment changing at runtime.
Spawn a tree in the middle of the road, the AI moves around it…

Thanks @MostHost_LA for your input. I am also using nav-invokers and was now able to figure out what the issue is and how to prevent it. The navmesh gets hung up on instanced static mesh components that have 0 instances. If you simply remove those components or deactivate collision on them, you won’t get the warning anymore.

1 Like