Foliage Cull Distance Ruins Open-World Game

I am trying to make an open-world game where the player can fly a manned drone and climb on hills. That means that in quite a lot of occasions, the player can see as far the eye can see, which is not much anyway because I have just an island, no GTA-Style huge city here. Just ground and trees. I get the usual texture pool warning after I add all the trees and culling does not help because I can clearly see the trees spawn when I’m flying. What are we supposed to do for an open-world, dynamic lighting game? We have to have lots of foliage and lots of buildings, and LODs don’t help with this either. Any suggestion from someone making such a game?

Consider adding some fog to hide the cull distance. Here is a world with very low fog and a small, but dense, selection of foliage (trees, ferns and grasses).

295568-folaige-2.png

What is the texture streaming pool size you are getting? Consider making the images smaller, or making mipmaps to help reduce the size of the pool. With the pictures i took i was getting a texture streaming pool over my 10 MiB budget, i still need to optimize, as i made most of these assets a long time ago, when I didn’t know better.

Here is another question from 2016 discussing a similar issue. I would pay respects to Jak Carver’s response
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/content-creation/94843-texture-streaming-pool-over

Here is also documentation on Texture Streaming

I am not sure what the recommended size for Texture Streaming Pool for the average PC is out there, perhaps a more knowledgeable chap could comment bellow.

This is what I get, with foliage max cull set to 500.000. Also, my RAM is 24G DDR3.