[Feature Request] Volumetric Fog

Didn’t see a feature request section so posting it in bug reports, I apologize if this is the wrong location.

Would really like to see a volumetric fog component that a player could walk inside of/through (like a steamy room, or one where a fire has broken out or similar) without having to apply it to the whole level.

I also agree. I noticed that this was something that was discussed a year ago and there’s still not been an update to add it in. Just a polite reminder that there’s a lot of us still wanting this feature.

Hear Hear!

Hey -

This is already on the backlog for the UE4 Roadmap here: Trello

Unfortunately, there are other priorities that have to come first. While it would be an awesome feature to have, there are workarounds with using fog sheets, and ways to fake it that work well enough.

It’s something that we want to add at some point, there just isn’t a timeframe when it will actually be worked on and added.

Tim

Fake light shafts work for things like windows, but is there any way to do something like in this image, where a pointlight can light up everything around it? http://pre05.deviantart.net/4217/th/pre/f/2015/125/e/8/victorian_gothic_by_stayinwonderland-d8sajrf.jpg

Maybe by setting the right amount of Bloom or something? Or emitting small dust particles around the lights that are lit up.

Thanks, but I tried both of those already.

When the bloom amount is adjusted, you can get something like that, but when the player comes closer it starts getting way too bright, and all the lights in the scene are messed up.

With particles it works better, but once you have a box of particles thick enough, you start seeing weird lines and artifacts all over it until the particle count is lowered.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what Epic does about this.