[Feature Request] Improve the quality of SSR and its noise

Hi guys, something that has been immensely bothering me over the last several months is with how noisy the output SSR is.

The main issue is that this creates a temporal discontinuity because of the noise being aliased and thus flickering/shimmering with TemporalAA even.

It looks very ugly,unrefined and seems to undermine the purpose of TemporalAA. It is one of the things that end up sticking out like a sore thumb from TAA’s inability to properly resolve the detail of and do so stably.

Cahoots — Ann Arbor tech coworking Here is a set of videos you can see showcases it in a worse case scenario showing how it is coming across as aliasing in motion with TemporalAA vs without SSR at all. And a third video showing 1.4x1.4 OGSSAA +TemporalAA (Max) with a Lanczos resolve for resampling the high resolution output. Showing that the noise problem still persists. (As do several temporal aliasing issues.)

**Is there some kind of last stage process before sending the effect to the final rendered output that can average the output of SSR or blend it to remove the noise of the effect? ** (Independent of other effects like TemporalAA since that already does a poor job)

Another problem that I don’t know can be solve stems from it being Screen Space based. And this is reflection draw in at the edges of the View Frustum. This is another distracting temporal discontinuity. If the camera is placed between say the branches and leaves of a tree in the Kite Demo while looking at a body of water the issues intensify

Is it possible to add an optional increase the draw-in range of SSR slightly outside of the view frustum to avoid this issue?.

Thanks. I’m not much of a programmer so this is beyond my skillset but is something that I think would really benefit the quality of the final render.

Hi you can tweak SSR as this blogger recommends: 3D Modeling & Texturing: [Unreal Engine 4] Improving Screen Space Reflections

That’s interesting thanks. 32x32 makes the noise problem less an issue clearly. But performance tanks.

In 4.12 now you can try planar reflections that solve the visibility issues you are talking about.

I find instead the flickering issues of SSR really bothering too.

Also, on mac I tried using SSR Quality above 50, but it doesn’t seem to work properly (plus, any value between 50 and 100 seems to give me the same result…)