FAILED TO BUILD HLODS

i tried to build hlods over 15 times,it keep saying build failed,i reset all options to default and it keeps saying build failed,i can take picture of output logs if required.

I get build fails and now do this to get around it.

Make a new HLOD layer in Content Browser
Delete old HLOD layer, replace references to new HLOD layer, DON’T save …
Build Landscape
Double click level thumbnail in Content Browser
Build HLODs
Launch Session.

But latest update is triggering validation fix messages on Launch, still builds HLODs and load into the play/edit session, but on UEFN side the new fix button is not working… about to do Jimbohalo10’s suggestion here

Hi @Hardcawcanary ,
The update to this is that you must test that the new right-click on the thumbnail “Conform Texture” must be done FIRST. If the texture/ asset does not conform you will see the option and if this texture is correct, you won’t see the option.

The case of HLOD and “Conform Texture” is very interesting.

The thing is we use HLOD is UE5 Standard Engine and one function in Epic GPU Lightmass tries to deal with this

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

Eek, another kettle of fish chucked into the mincer… but in hind sight it makes a bit of sense that power of 2 calculations are better for HLOD performance.

hi @Hardcawcanary ,
Well there is a YouTube video on FN and HLOD and the first thing is Cell Size is not Power of 2

Get 200k Island Memory using HLODs in UEFN! (youtube.com)

Here is my way to get the correct Power of 2 Cell size

This just adds another layer have to have an Excel Spreadsheet to calculate the nearest Power of 2

1 Like

Wow…

OK yeah… that is a brilliant observation… you’ve expanded my mind

its easy to think the 2,4,8,16,32 etc numbers with being power 2, then just adding zero’s because standard base 10 maths works with just adding zero’s…

I’ve been doing this, cell size 6400, 8000 and a few others…but now I see 8 doesn’t give an integer for square root anyway and the 0’s are just there because visually they look neat.

I’m gonna use 6561 and 7921 etc

Thank you very much, I can tack it onto my build grid location spreadsheet