When using a static mesh with multiple LOD’s attached inside a HierarchicalInstancedStaticMesh BP Component, the HISM is adding extra Material Slots to itself. The extra slots occasionally change in amount and location in the list, though I haven’t figured out what is making this change. This is making swapping in dynamic materials really awkward. One of these in our current project has 11 slots for a static mesh with 7 materials.
- Import a Static Mesh.
- Add extra LOD’s (I used 3)
- Assign material for easier viewing.
- Create new Actor BluePrint
- Add HierarchicalInstancedStaticMesh component
- Set HISM static mesh to your imported Static Mesh
- View Material List on the HISM
- Notice extra material slots have been added. (In my test case 1 extra at Element 1)