ExORION Survivor: Sci-Fi Hyper-Cinematic Shooter (XPS)

ExORION Survivor is a Multiplayer Sci-Fi Hyper-cinematic Shooter...

Also referred to as a Multi-perspective Shooter (XPS), ExORION Survivor is A Story of Futuristic Alien Invasion featuring Kaiju with Horror Elements.

In this Thread, Ill be posting exclusive content (for UE Forum Only) to showcase and discuss what I believe to be a new sub-genre Hyper-cinematic Games and other experimental design. For every comment to this specific thread, ill create and post an exclusive video to compliment my response :slight_smile:

What is Hyper-Cinematics

Firstly, my official definition of Hyper-Cinematics - is the switching between different 3D camera angles/perspectives on-demand in real-time.

Visit Our Discord: HeadlessStudios.com

5 Likes

Hey there @TechLord,

Everytime I see an ExORION post I immediately get hyped. I know that I’ll for sure be seeing some of the coolest (and strangest) creations and it’s always even better than I imagined. I bet this project is an absolute blast to create. How are you feeling about it recently?

3 Likes

Hi @PresumptivePanda. I sincerely appreciate your comments and interest. I’ve decided that for every comment to this specific thread, ill create and post a video to compliment my response :slight_smile:

I feel extremely motivated with recent developments as the project has been consolidated with my other projects. Multiple Subprojects, One Project Repository. Thus, progress for one is progress for all, and progress is required for me to maintain my motivation.

ExORION Survivor UE5 is a interactive representation of this strategy, directly utilizing developments in DEITY Superheroes: KRYPTON, TGDS Assets, and UE Marketplace Assets.

This "game" has been in development for over 5 years! It started as a 8-member team project, dissolved into a solo project. Because, I refuse to give up!

Back when there were 8, we were all new to Unreal and most of the team new to game dev in general. We tried to do everything from scratch with novice skill level. Our results did not match our vision. In short, our game dev goals at the time were overly ambitious.

I suggested acquiring and using Marketplace Assets of higher quality, but, could not get buy in from the team. Progress was super slow, and surely, Team members left one-by-one, until I was the only one left.

I considered terminating the project, but, I want to develop a game with Super Soldiers and Giant Monsters. So i went back to the drawing board with game design and development approach. I elected to continue Development by developing procedural subsystems and acquiring Marketplace assets.

I was still learning the in-outs of unrealengine and took on smaller projects. I continued to work on ExORION off/on in the midst of working other projects. I found myself integrating what I learned and subprojects directly into ExORION.

I still fantasize ExORION as a Team Project and missed the group meetings, ping-ponging code between other programmers in source control, Chats on Design and Story, etc. But I’m aware Rev-share Projects are tough to recruit for and no one is familiar with a hyper-cinematic game design.

5 Likes

It’s always unfortunate when a team slowly dwindles, but you seem to be managing well on your own despite that :slight_smile: And the whole destructible creature element can definitely help to get rid of some of that frustration :joy:

As always, wishing you the best. Can’t wait to see your next post!

2 Likes

I’ve put together a Design Doc, but, mostly work on design points I aim to achieve. Some of these can be seen in the videos:

• Multiple Perspectives On-demand - Not another First / Third Person Shooter!
  • Mesh-based 3D GUI and Visual Elements - NO 2D
  • Player - Flight / Hyper-Flight, Procedurally Generated Armor
  • Sci-Fi Projectile Weapons - Procedurally Generated Aspects, Function and Aesthetic Customization.
  • Monsters - Procedurally Generated, Customizable, Destructible, Rules-based AI
  • Levels - Procedurally Generated, Customzable, Destructible
  • All-in-one In-game Customizer for Characters, Creatures, Weapons, Level / Mission
  • All 3D Interface - NO 2D!

Design points not seen in Videos:

• Data-driven, Decoupled, Portable Subsystems
  • Multi-user / Multi-player Support
4 Likes
4 Likes

Hey there @TechLord !

I love to see this get more updates as always. I also love the people going about their day normally as the monster grows and the character shoots. I understand why there is no reaction yet, but it still makes me giggle thinking how this is a daily part of their lives.

Is the super soldier a new character for the game or just a title for further showcasing?

2 Likes

Hi @The_M0ss_Man, I appreciate your comment.

Its just a title :)

The ExORION Super Soldier is part of the core concept and plot: Super Soldiers vs Giant Monsters.

inspiration was originally derived from Crysis’ Prophet. However, I desire my Super Soldier to possess the abilities equitable Superheroes, thus Flight was added :slight_smile:

Eventually, ill work out the AI for the pedestrians to get out of the way. LOL

5 Likes

Great to see you are making progress and still work on this.

I love how you can cut parts out of the monster body. Also the health indicator on the back looks like the one from the Dead Space series (i guess it is something like this). So you can keep the screen cleaner while playing.

Keep up the work.

3 Likes

Hey @Thorsten09 I appreciate your comments. For every comment, I post a custom video with my response :slight_smile:

Great to see you are making progress and still work on this.

I’m excited for my progress. This time around, I’m focused on actual game mechanics and going for something hard-to-compare-too and hopefully fun.

ExORION Survivor is a Testbed for many of my various game concepts and approaches. It will be very niche. I’m going to avoid calling it a ‘Game’, and use the term ‘Experience’ because its played and directed simultaneously. I also wont refer to users as players, but more so play-directors.

I love how you can cut parts out of the monster body.

Destructible Giant Monsters is a feature I want in my game, so it will be one of many highlights. Everything destructible is my goal.

Also the health indicator on the back looks like the one from the Dead Space series (i guess it is something like this). So you can keep the screen cleaner while playing.

Deadspace UI is awesome, but I’m more so implementing my version of an All 3D (N0 2D) Diegetic User Interface.

My first step was developing a 3D Text subsystem. Next will be evolving the subsystem into 3D Gadgets: Buttons, InputBoxes, Textboxes etc.

Keep up the work.

Positive comments and inquiries like this, keep me motivated.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I like the lock on target methode to keep track of the car movement. Is this the “TriggerMode” form the menu?
Lots of modes to see in the UI. Pretty much self explaining.
But what is this ClusterCountMax meaning? Firing more then one weapon on the same time?
And did you try your system with an not so performance heavy scene like this?
Looks really good already and i would love to see how this would look like with smooth movement (if you have a scene to test this).

1 Like

Appreciate the inquiry @Thorsten09. In that video I attempted to demonstrate a traditional First Person Perspective with independent LookAt rotation.

I like the lock on target methode to keep track of the car movement. Is this the “TriggerMode” form the menu?

The ‘Focus’ lock triggered from mouse and is a feature V8 SUPERCAM using a concept of Mount & Focus.

• ‘Mount’ - what the camera is attached to. (Camera Location)
  • ‘Focus’ - what the camera looks at. (Camera Rotation)

Both Mount and Focus can be dynamically changed in real-time using its ‘Sticky’ attachment mechanism. This is how switching perspectives is achieved. I use very little perspective switching in this video.

Lots of modes to see in the UI. Pretty much self explaining.

I include UMG GUIs to adjust settings in real-time for all subsystems I develop. Its the only purpose I use UMG for as I want all 3D UI for the game itself.

But what is this ClusterCountMax meaning? Firing more then one weapon on the same time?

TRAJECTILES is spline-based projectile weapon system in development. Its used for both ranged and melee weapons. I was going to just have projectile weapons, but for a mecha feel I’m aiming for, I must include melee.

And did you try your system with an not so performance heavy scene like this?Looks really good already and i would love to see how this would look like with smooth movement .

Big City Sample a Beast. Plain Maps runs fine, but i prefer to use maps closer to my vision. My current focus is developing and implementing my concepts which require massive testing and experimentation. I’ll focus on optimization later.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I was testing spline based moving enemies in a sidescroller r-type like prototype. But this was very performance heavy. Did you notice this also with your spline bullets (looks very cool btw)?

And i love the moment you stand under this lovley monster, it is kinda scary.

1 Like

The smaller city runs much smoother :slight_smile:

@Thorsten09, I truly appreciate your feedback. Hyper-cinematics is real-time cinema.

I was testing spline based moving enemies in a sidescroller r-type like prototype. But this was very performance heavy. Did you notice this also with your spline bullets (looks very cool btw)?

I anticipate performance impact with each push/pop to processing stack. I’ll deal with it later. I MUST Test the concept First.

InstanceSpline in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace

And i love the moment you stand under this lovley monster, it is kinda scary.

One of the first Fears…
# Megalophobia

3 Likes

This Spline Plugin sounds good if it works like it is explained with instancing.

Although ExORION is not a common FPS, FirstPerson is the ‘home’ Perspective. As such, I desire to have some form of Aim Down Sights (ADS) mechanic that’s common in modern FPS Games. Of course, i have to do something unique with it. Considering using multiple types of scopes for Thermal-vision, Night-vision, Infrared, XRay-vision, etc.

2 Likes

First 48 seconds showcasing the new Dynamic Armor Symmetry.

1 Like