"Excessive"/Pixelated Shadows appearance from lighting

I’m using the Public Hallway Pack by IanRoach, and using the default Nanite settings seems to cause these “excessive” shadows both on the wall when looking closely, and from regular shadowed angles. I’ve played with the Shadow settings from the Details panels, but found nothing to fix, and I’m completely stump as to where to look to troubleshoot it. Any ideas how I could solve it, or where should I start looking?

Cheers.

1 Like

UPDATE: Changing the Shadow Map Method from Virtual Shadow Maps to Shadow Maps has solved the issue for me. Shadow edges are now softer and have more realistic dispersing edges. Leaving this out in case someone comes across this issue.

6 Likes

Having the same issue. Many thanks for advice.

1 Like

Same issue in UE 5.1.1 and 5.2 for me. And the same solution worked. But I don’t like the fact that this is still present :frowning:

1 Like

This went away for me when I switched raytracing on, which can be enabled on individual lights if needed. But I’m not sure how great a solution that is, if the end user’s hardware doesn’t do raytracing.

The lights might be too close to geometry, it’s pretty common to start seeing artifacts like that if that’s the case, try dropping them by 5cm.

thanks

im getting this issue over android opengl, it looks good on vulcan but not on opengl, what is goin on :cry: