Error: Actor ... has an invalid HLOD level

Hi!
I have the following error that keeps repeating itself over and over again.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?

It says: Actor … has an invalid HLOD level

Hey Leertaste,

Make a Check-in Changes snapshot and put a description in the changelog like Invalid HLOD.

Check your World Settings tab

Whats your Runtime Spatial Hash ? WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash or WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet

Does the Default HLOD Layer point to your current HLOD layer ?

Hang on, your HLOD layer is Asteria_Trees_HLOD… sounds like you are using multiple HLOD layers or is it just the one ?

If it has been working before, and your running a live edit session when you build HLODs, it may just require closing the launched session and restarting editor, build HLODs again before you launch.

Otherwise if you haven’t successfully built HLODs, how have you set them up ?
Have you added the HLOD layer inside the props settings ?

Hi!
My runtime spatial hash is WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet.
I have attached a screenshot of how my world settings are set.

It worked before and I did it again now as you said but it didn’t help.

I built the HLODs by going to Create HLODs at the top.

My HLOD layer looks like the screenshot. I deleted the old HLOD layer and created a new one. I hope this is not a problem.

Updated: I have now changed the world settings but it still does not work. But I think it is more correct as in the screenshot above.

Are you using WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet for any particular reason or just selected it ?
once you change it from WorldPartitionSpatialRuntimeHash, you can’t change back.
I’m curious because I don’t know much about it I’ve only been using UEFN with 0 UE XP.

Deleting the old HLOD is not too bad, I have 2 projects where I’ve deleted them more than 15 times each, I usually can’t build HLODs without doing it on them.
I think its best to do this, because HLOD layers seem to keep old references to deleted things, or light values from some deleted lights.
And using Delete HLODs from the Build HLOD menu doesn’t work properly.
But deleting the old HLOD layer doesn’t seem to work if you Save directly after replacing references to the new HLOD layer…

This is how I delete the HLOD Layer (pasted from a text file)

• Close Fortnite Edit/Play Mode
  • Make a new HLOD Layer in Content Browser - Right Click>World>HLOD Layer
  • Delete existing HLOD Layer - Replace References to the new one -
  • DON’T Save When it asks, otherwise it will possibly keep bad references in there
  • Double Click on Level Thumbnail
  • Now you can Save if prompted.
  • Then do a Build Landscape - ignore Yellow Warnings - use drop the down filter to deselect them - deal with Red Errors
  • Double Click your Level Thumbnail again, Save if prompted
  • Build HLODs
  • Try to launch session

Here’s a link to a similar issue, and it was using the WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet which worked out all right in the end

I believe it’s a bug, it’s now set to WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet by default and you can’t select the other one (see there’s no revert to default arrow on the right)

1 Like

With the new HLOD Layer slot thats popped up in prop details, this looks like it can handle a few different HLOD layers, bit more complex than the original, but maybe it’s introduced to deal with the different needs of having large low density areas, like countryside detail levels in one HLOD layer and higher density city detail levels in other HLOD layers. Which would be better than the single RuntimeSpatialHash blanket value.

1 Like

WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet was set by default for me.
I have also just gone through your tutorial but without success. The same errors are still displayed. I also clicked on the link and read through the whole conversation you had with him and tried to implement it in exactly the same way, but also without success.

I just applied an old snapshot to see if the problem existed back then and yes, the error did exist back then. However, only trees are displayed as errors and not walls etc. What could be the reason for this?

Did you use the foilage painter ?

Not yet for the snapshot. I used it afterwards.

@Hardcawcanary is there a default map or any way I can select so that it is not WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet but WorldPartitionSpatialRuntimeHash?

I haven’t used foilage painter before, but its the only difference I could think of
Just did a search for foilage painting and HLODs…seems there is a bit of trouble going on there

Re - Runtime Hash Class, I don’t really know.

There should be a way

In HLODSetups, try giving it a name and ticking the Spatially Loaded setting

The team making this system must be too mentally drained yet to tell us how to drive it…

I will look at it again tomorrow. Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

So I have now copied the world settings 1:1 from another map of mine and also migrated the HLOD file from this one. Then I got this error:

It says the following: ReloadFN Invalid override of property value “…” has an override of “True” (default “False”) for property “…”

The problem is that the world is still not loading properly and I also have problems with the water, as you can see in the 3rd screenshot.

Now I have loaded the HLODs again and got the error from the beginning again. :frowning:

1 Like

Those yellow validation warnings are OK, they can be ignored, they always seem to happen and the Validation fix only works after a memory check completes… But they come back anyway if you add stuff and redo the HLOD build again. I’ve published updates a few times with these warnings not fixed, I’m fairly sure lots of creators are doing it at the moment.

But yes, the old HLOD works, but I think it may be because it looks empty and has nothing to validate or reference.

This may be why it’s also not showing ocean ??? not too sure though.

Have you set up your ocean and waterzone correctly ?
Waterzone and Ocean extents 160000, 160000 or bigger ?

OK the trees are the problem… and they were done in Foilage Mode,
so we need to focus this and research foilage mode and hlod for a proper setup

So it’s because of the trees that contain Asteria.
I have deleted all the trees that contain it. And now it works. Looks like a lot of work for me again…

1 Like

However, I still have a problem. The rivers and lakes are not loading properly or are only loading when I am close to them.
How can I fix this?
I no longer have any errors when loading the HLODs…

Everywhere I look for what I need, I find you xD.

I have now looked at the tutorial here and will try it tomorrow and then report whether it works.