All actors have an HLOD issue

Summary

Been trying to get HLODS working for awhile I got them working but the water wouldn’t render at all in certain areas so I restarted deleted all HLODS and trying to do hlods again now everything won’t work

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Assets

Steps to Reproduce

build hlods
remove hlods
delete old hlod layer
make new hlods layer
build landscape
build hlods

Expected Result

To be able to work the map

Observed Result

unable to do HLODS

Platform(s)

PC

Island Code

not yet

hi @w14ks ,
The HLOD documentation has been incorrectly linked so here is the page
with Q & A

Streaming and HLODs | Unreal Editor for Fortnite Documentation | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

See
HLOD Build Failed - General / Issues and Bug Reporting - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

to quote

HLODs are generated from the asset’s lowest fidelity Level of Detail (LOD). If your custom assets have no set LODs, the HLOD will be very costly as it will be generated from full resolution assets.

Exclude Assets from Generating HLODs

1 Like

I went in every building in my map and excluded all the inside of them already
and I haven’t used any custom assets its all fortnite stuff

this very different from when I last used it

hi @w14ks
Just found this on the original water problem

Some world components, such as Landscapes and Water components, are currently not supported by HLOD Actors.
from
World Partition - Hierarchical Level of Detail in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

Do you have Unreal Revision Control running on project.
If you have you could restore to last version before the major update.

yes I do
no idea how it works tho

hi here is how to restore from a snapshot

Rewind Snapshot

Snapshot History and Conflict Resolution | Unreal Editor for Fortnite Documentation | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

1 Like

is there no other way to fix this issue because I don’t want to go back to the 11th of August
thats way too much progress gone and it’ll be just a waste of time its the only snapshot I have it seems

Well some one else might know but thats not me , just know how to back using URC

Well after spending a few hours on this.

Unticking “Enable Streaming” in the World Setting as at he top will turn your Project back to a single level and HLOD will no longer be available and save the version.

Look at you actors and turn everything to default.

Think about HLOD without Water and Landscape

But Just not knowledgeable to know just by reading documentation, may be wrong

1 Like

Make a new snapshot now and add to the changelist a description like “HLOD issue”
Remember to Check-in Changes and make a snapshot everytime you think “I don’t want to do that again”

Have you got a bunch of prefabs ?

The props youve turned off the HLOD on, are possibly in a HLOD enabled prefab root.

The root, the prefab actor that holds all the props from that particular prefab, if you have that set to be in the HLOD, then any props it holds have to be in the HLOD too or it will throw errors like this.

What you should do is take all the actors out of the prefab root and put them in thier own folder. For example make a new Folder called what_ever (no spaces in folder names) and mass select props and move them to thier folder, or unattach them if the prefab is already in a folder where you want them.

Let us know if this is not the reason, or all of the issues, then we can try and find the cause.

2 Likes

i’ll try this but just know I haven’t used any prefabs

what will making this snapshot do?

if this helps every time I load up into the map message log pops up and tells me on map check all the actors have a invalid HLOD layer which is any HLOD layer I make

The snapshot will make a URC backup of your map at this point, this is handy so you can load your map at snapshot points and grab any content to copy and paste elsewhere.
If things go cactus when you try to fix it, you can go back to any snapshot and try again.

Ahh OK, Having Actors attached to other actors with mixed HLOD settings give a lot of errors that look similar.

What I’m guessing is there are references to old HLOD layers that are not being cleared, somewhere is holding onto them.

when I looked at your screenshot again, your World Settings look unfamiliar to me, I haven’t dealt with The Runtime partition and Main Layer before.
Also the “Is 2D” setting is on and Origin at -5000 is interesting…

Do you know what these are about and how you got them ?

In your main project folder in the Content Browser do you have any elements other than Level, Data Asset & HLOD Layer
Double click on your Level, it could just reload map or give you a prompt to save stuff and will give a Message if it finds problems.

1 Like

I doubled clicked the level and loaded it but nothing happened
this is whats in my content browser has

I think I got this by clicking on the thing on here
Screenshot 2024-09-03 153845

this is what it does
please let me know if theres anyway to revert this

This is my world settings tab

For the Runtime Hash Class, I’m using the WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash

I used the dropdown menu and selected the only option there WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet
once I did that, it didn’t give me the option to use WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash

I don’t know what this is…

@Jimbohalo10 do you know what this about, I’m out of my shallow depths.

Jimbohalo10 suggested turning off enable streaming, try that, see if turning it back on again gives you the simple WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash back…

I’m gonna go and see if I can find out what this Runtime Hash Class is about

1 Like

I’ve only found references to using SpatialHash in the docs.

Your Runtime Partitions has an empty HLODsetups bit…

I’m thinking by using the RuntimeHashSet, it needs a bit more to set it up correctly.

1 Like

Do you know how to set this up properly?
I already tried turning off streaming and turning it back on but I’ll try again when am able too
Also thanks for sticking with me helping sort this confusing stuff

No, unfortunately I don’t know, this must be a nightmare for you though, thats a lot of good looking work you’ve done there.

Not getting much luck with the docs or google either, there are bits in the UE docs that go there, but I can’t get a handle on how it works in UEFN.

Lets look around the UEFN editor…
In the Window menu up top there is World Partiton it gives Data Layers Outliner and World Partition Editor.
Does opening the Data Layers Outliner show any data layers ? Normally this would be empty, but using data layers may be what runtimehash is used for ??? dunno

2 things I wonder, 1 what happens if you add an array element to the HLODSetups in the Runtime Partition, what info does it need?, and 2 What would happen if you deleted the runtime partition, would it make it worse ?

1 Like

it says theres 0 data layers
flicked with a couple of setting on it

this here pops up with three options
Screenshot 2024-09-07 014619
none
Runtimepartitionlevelstreaming
RuntimepartitionLHGrid
just wondering if this thing is in the editor why is there no documentation about it because it seems to way more confusing than the simple version and why is there no way to go back to the simple version? I don’t get it :confused:

Yes, I’m of the mind it has been overlooked a bit.

OK I started a simple map and set it to the runtime hash set.

Building HLODs took a little bit on a simple landscape, so you would be taking a long time to build yours, which makes testing hard, as each small change requires… how long does it take you build HLODs ?

It was throwing the invalid HLOD layer error on build, but when I added the HLOD layer to the HLOD setups it built with no error
I have the class at Runtimepartitionlevelstreaming in the Runtime Partition bit

I have no elements in my Runtime Cells Transformer Stack though…yours is empty anyway so maybe bin it.

But since you have added the HLOD setups pointing to your HLOD layer now, try to build HLODs again

building landscape came up with a new error and doesn’t have the HLOD layer problem

building HLODS now
It failed and poped with same message I don’t understand what that means

The thousands of Null Static mesh warnings are totally normal for all UEFN users and can be ignored.

Build Landscape again and in the message log use the drop down menu to filter out the yellow warnings, do you have any red errors ?

Did you get the same number of invalid HLOD layer files ?

I’m gonna go have a play on my version, be back