Epic's GPUlightmass

Is there a bug in dev-rendering as of Apr 20 2020?
Movable objects are not lit by volumetric lightmap after the interactive lightmap building completes. Prior to completion, VLM is applied normally. The VLM samples are preserved and can be visualized. Just movable objects are no longer VLM lit after lightmass finishes.

What is the targeted release for this? 4.26?

Tested todays code (updated from github 200430). Build works nicely. Some scenes make UE crash though. Error message: GPU crashed or D3D Device Removed. Using a gtx1080 and driver 26.21.14.4219. Anyone else noticed this error / suggestions?

Also, after some testing I noticed my shadows don’t look sharp anymore. Its almost looking like everything has low lightmap values (but they dont). Again, suggestions?

Hi,

I trying to test the multi GPU function in the editor. Enabled it in consolevariable.ini, but I don’t know how I write the command line parameter “-MaxGPUCount=” if I have 4 GPUs.
Can anyone help me?

What’s the best way to update the dev-rendering ? Do I have to install it from scratch or is there a quicker way to update it?

I think I’m experiencing a bug because at the moment I am getting weird colours on my mesh. I posted the problem here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…s-in-lightmaps

Do you guys know why is that happening?

Cheers!

I am very glad that Luoshuang 's work has been noticed and UE !!
I have a question. Will it work as before on my 1050Ti graphics card?

anyone test in 4.26?

I tried on my desktop with gtx1080 but the editor keeps crashing at restart after enabling ray tracing and rhi12.
Many errors, also referring to oculusHMD. Submitted crashlogs.

edit: tried on another (older) laptop with quadro M1200. Editor launches fine but immediate crash after pressing ‘build lighting’ in the new (and nice looking) GPU lightmass settings tab. Error:

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File d:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 674] Array index out of bounds: 74 from an array of size 0

Submitted crash logs.

Yeah. Indirect lighting intensity settings don’t work but otherwise it has been great so far. Ultra fast.

i test it ! it’s so fast!

I am confused about everyone claiming it is fast. From my test, the unofficial GPU Lightmass plugin still delivers superior quality at the fraction of time compared to the official GPU Lightmass. Also, in the unofficial one, volumetric lightmap (the 3D lighting probes) actually work, while in the official 4.26 one, they produce wrong, garbled results with often negative lighting values.

Hi noob question ! Does anybody have a detailed tutorial or can explain here how exactly can I enable gpu lightmass in the built in UE 4.26 ??

I’m only able to benchmark it against CPU lightmass because I’ve never used the unofficial GPULM plugin. I also never run it in slow mode because that takes forever. Compared to a CPU bake, it’s nothing short of amazing as far as speed is concerned.

As for quality, it could be better. I get some hue-shift artifacts that are noticeable on smooth surfaces and the VLM seems noisy though perhaps I am just not using enough samples. I’ve not seen any negative VLM values though.

My project is reliant on low indirect lighting intensity and low MinBrickError for VLMs (as I mainly use them for occlusion, not indirect light) though, so it’s important to me at least that it reaches some degree of feature parity with CPU lightmass.

Noticed another problem with it, stationary skylights don’t seem to bake lighting correctly

I just tried the 4.26 gpu lightmass… doesn’t seem like my static spotlights get taken into account for the lightmap… Below is a screenshot of the light not baked… and the top is with it baked… total darkness. Any idea why? I have a 2080 TI… bakes a lot of the emissive related ■■■■ it seems, but thats about it…

](filedata/fetch?id=1815795&d=1601133121)

@kurylo3d seems to be affected by outer cone angle. It works for me with default spotlight settings, but if I adjust the cone angle below a certain point, it disappears

it doesnt even work with a brand new default spot light dropped into the scene.

it doesnt work for any static lights.

Its possible that the static lights get baked way way darker then a stationary light. See screenshot comparison … same light… just staic vs stationary.

Seems also like i can switch 1 light to static… doesnt work… then the light next to it i switch to staitionary and back to static… that light stops working, but hte first light all of a sudden starts baking as static… something very wrong here… current gpu lightmass is very broken and unuseable unfortunately.

Where can i report this?

@Luoshuang

I am testing 4.26P1 and I am impressed ! Well done!
I have some suggestions:

1. Add new Bake Mode type:
    Bake Mode: Full Bake / View range only / View range and continue
    This last bake mode will allow to continue bake process for all the rest on the scene after all object in view range will be finished.
    When you move camera then the unbaked view range objects will become a priority for bake.

2. Add more information about parameters in hover hint frames ( their role and influence on bake process )

3. Update viewport at Realtime=OFF after object or group of objects have been baked to show results + some results autosave backup file ( after every 2min or 5mins and at the end ).

4. Computed object influence range could be helpful when adding or moving some object on the scene to avoid rebake whole scene and bake only the part.
    ( I know that it can be very hard and complex task to determine what influences on what - this could be some kind of challenge :slight_smile: )