Epic MegaJam! October 8-15th, 2015. THEME: STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS

So… most awards are randomly drawn? That’s… weird…

No

not to sound rash but I think the bigger teams already have somewhat of an advantage to get the prizes & to win the Mega Jam.

personally, I like participating solo or in a small team and accept the challenge willingly, but the way ya’ll have it set up already gives the little guy a to win something & to take something away from the experience that will mean something to them later on.

even without winning, everyone should get something out of this experience that means more than just material gains.
we all should realize that and enjoy the experience and be happy for our fellow developers that do win or win a prize.

sorry but all this complaining is uncalled for in my opinion and is starting to ruin the spirit of these jams.
it’s alright to be competitive but doesn’t call for anyone to get carried away.
as the old saying goes ’ Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth! ’ (yeah it’s old but it applies)

ya’ll (Epic) should ignore all the talk that seems to be becoming whining & just do what ya’ll do, you do it well and the majority of us are thankful.
and I think is when they think about it

if you win work it out, have your own drawing or a lottery or a Tontine ( lol look it up) for all I care, but leave the Jam out of it.

This time around, we wanted to include as many as we could in the prize pool! Also, the award categories have a significantly higher ARV than the raffles

The problem with raffling by participant rather than by team with a qualifying entry is someone might invent x4 phantom team members to give themselves more chances to win a raffle. I emphasized ‘qualifying entry’, because another scam path could be to make several low effort entries under different names to give themselves more chances to win.

I mean, a Titan X is no joke. You could ebay it for some decent scratch, and someone somewhere might already figuring out how to game the system to get the best at winning it.

hmm… unless im misunderstanding that statement…no youre wrong. In a competition, a team has much better chances of doing more in a small amount of time then a solo dev. As for rewards, well a single dev wins the reward and a team wins the reward. If you’re referring to the random ones specifically then still to even enter you’d have to have a decent entry to begin with. it makes no difference who wins it, the reward is what it is. Theres only one stanley cup. If on the team got a state of the art video card and sorry to the solos who just get one? Then cool, my team is me, Sneezle and Ling Ling. Those are my cats, but I’ll take multiple of the same reward. If a team of 5 would get 5 of them I should also get 5 as a solo entry. I entered the last one and to this date I still dont even know what the rewards were cuz I entered for fun not for rewards. So that should still be the focus for . If you want the “benefits” of being a solo entry… be a solo entry!

I’m not interested in arguing the topic so this is the last ill say on it but I just had to comment on the “logic” behind the teams getting more rewards for the same task. Silliness.

The real issue should be the state of the game entered into the competition. IF someone creates an empty map with a few cubes and nothing to be entered for the draws, obviously that can’t be taken as a serious entry. That should be where the issue is for random draws. Perhaps of the finalists (top 10 -20) or whatever… is where the random draws are. still per entry, not per person because otherwise a guy on a team that simply spent 5 mins adding text to a teams game but was included in the credits has an equal opportunity of winning as solo entry that spent the full 10 days or whatever which is not fair the other way.

Yes, you are, it was in reference to nvidia rewards only my fault for not being clearer.

My whole point was that, a team of five would have better chances being in 5 teams alone for nvidias rewards because of how they were chosen for they type of reward. there is 1 signed titan x, randomly chosen, if a team of 5 wanted it that badly, the best chances would be to go in alone and make 5 compliant entries because its randomly chosen. 1 ticket vs 5 tickets.

The solution was already stated above by .

said “Good feedback ! We had originally planned on letting the teams decide on who would receive the prize, putting that power in your hands. Would you rather we drew from a pool of individual participants instead of teams?”

Meaning its given to randomly chosen teams. Not in a hat, that’s the solution.

does the apply another material rule go for particle systems aswell?

**** that titan X is a beast :slight_smile:
roughly 6 times more powerfull than my trustworthy 750 Ti :slight_smile:
does that mean i can have 6 times more GPU particles? :slight_smile:

I’m ready guys!!!

I’m in :smiley: This is going to be !

The game must not be an obvious extension of one of Epic Games’ official Unreal Engine tutorials.
If this rules disqualifies teams from the random prizes I think it would stop most ppl from entering bogus projects to get a free ticket

Pretty exciting! Good luck.

I’m expecting to see a lot of really good entries. Gotta really come up with a super idea this time to stand out.
I’m definitely taking part, maybe even stream most of it.
Better get some extra coffee ready. :smiley:

Can I include link to download project not to download the game? (because i can’t package the project)

You do have to package your project. If you look at the detailed rules bit from any previous jam, it says: “To enter the contest, you must package, upload, and link to your game before the end of the Contest Period.”

hey Smrczech, why can’t you package, what problems are you having?

if it’s something simple, just explain it
if not, use either answer hub or the forums to resolve your issues before the game jam begins. you still have almost a week to get ready.

start by just testing packaging with one of the starter template projects with nothing added for an example.

also you should try this to start with:
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Basics/Projects/Packaging/index.html

I’m a 3D artist looking for a team.

My portfolio is ://./

Have a look and send me an email/message if interested.

I have question to Epic Games about this event: What is the hardware you will use to run the game jam entries? or at Allegorithmics end?

As visuals are one factor, it would be nice to know where we can target our performance for best visuals :slight_smile:

MeTh892 hi

this post if for teaming up:
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?84735-The-Epic-MegaJam-Team-Up-Thread!

really nice work btw :wink: