Engine crashes when creating static mesh from skeletal mesh

Issue: Engine crashes when attempting to create a static mesh from a skeletal mesh using active LOD > 0.

steps to reproduce:

1. open the skeletal mesh editor using an asset with multiple LOD’s.
  2. set minimum LOD = 1 (or above)
  3. open the animation editor that uses the preview mesh from what’s open in the skeletal mesh editor
  4. select ‘make static mesh’ from the menu at the top
  5. observe crash behavior

i’m guessing this is an array mismatch between verts at LOD 0 and verts displayed as LOD 1 in animation editor, but just a guess. this occurred during natural editor use when converting hi poly assets to lo poly assets for use on mobile. by default i set a bunch of skeletal meshes to use LOD 1. I then needed certain poses saved as static meshes from the animation editor after which the crash occurred. originally detected in 4.23, but tested in 4.24 on a clean project (using FPS template) to verify if it was an asset issue or engine issue .

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

awesome. just submitted. thanks for the link!

Did you ever get this fixed?