Enable light propagation volumes on packaged game

Hello,
i enabled LPV in editor, and in editor it works fine,
but after package it is disabled in my shipping build. My scene should be lit but it is dark.
How do i enable light propagation volumes on packaged game?

Hi Snowwolf,

I had to give this a quick test since it’s been a while since I’ve packaged anything with LPV, but all you should have to do is enable r.LightPropagationVolume=1 in the Engine/Config/ConsoleVariables.ini file.

Then when you packaged the game for development or shipping you should see LPV enabled for your scene.

Try setting up a simple LPV test scene in a blank project and see if you can get the same results with packaging there.

This is how I’ve setup a simple scene and used for LPV testing for some time. I like to use very bright emissive materials so that was I can see it working really easily. I also adjust some of the post process settings to make it “pop” more easily.

Once you’ve tried that. Let me know if you’re seeing the same issue with Development and Shipping.

Thanks!

Tim

Thank you, i will try to setup blank scene.

Hello Tim, I managed to get LPV in packaged game with blank scene, and now i’m diggin’ into what is wrong with my project scene. Thank you.

No problem. It’s sometimes easier to try and rule things out by starting with some basic scenes and working up from there. :wink:

Next step, I would probably start with doing a very basic blank scene in your project and in the Project Settings, making that the default map for game load. Then under the Packaging section, make that the only map that gets packaged by putting it in the list at the bottom. If that packages and doesn’t work then it’s easier to narrow down probably than a full scene and project.

If it doesn’t work, try having a look at the Output Logs (Project Folder > Saved > Logs) and look at the latest one after the package completes. There may be information in there for why it was disabled that could indicate what’s going on.

That’s at least where I would start, so I hope this helps. Feel free to check back or post any additional details. I may have some helpful next steps or tips to get your sorted out. :slight_smile:

Hi guys.

I have enabled r.LightPropagationVolume=1 in the Engine/Config/ConsoleVariables.ini file, everything is fine on the editor, but on package isn’t.

Did you fix it?

Regards!
Penserbjorne

Hi, I’ve got the same issue on 4.15.
I tried another map in the same project and it works… however I have absolutely no idea where the difference could come from.

Same problem for me in 4.15 as well. Did anyone figure out what’s causing this?

I have the same problem with VRWorks Features like MultiRes in Shipping Builds. After my research i think i found the problem. The ConsoleVariables.ini doesn’t account to shipping builds. It is also mentioned directly in the ConsoleVariables.ini:

We don’t load this file when compiling
UE_BUILD_SHIPPING or UE_BUILD_TEST.

EDIT:
I found a solution, at least for my console variables.
Instead of ConsoleVariables.ini, you can insert them project specific in the DefaultEngine.ini (ProjectDirectory/Config/), or across multiple projects in the BaseEngine.ini (EngineDirectory/Engine/Config/).You have to insert the console variables under [SystemSettings]. In the DefaultEngine.ini this category doesn’t exist, simply create it at the end of the .ini.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Doesn’t work for LPV.

r.LightPropagationVolume=1 in:

• ProjectDirectory/Config/DefaultEngine.ini
  • EngineDirectory/Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini
  • EngineDirectory/Engine/Config/ConsoleVariables.ini

Did a full rebuild but LPV is still off in packaged game while it’s working fine in the editor.

Hi, I’m working in 4.19
In editor everything works fine.
I added the r.LightPropagationVolume=1 in:

ProjectDirectory/Config/DefaultEngine.ini

EngineDirectory/Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini

EngineDirectory/Engine/Config/ConsoleVariables.ini

Packaged in a Developer build but i don’t get any LPV when i run my game.
Is this still an issue? Since this post is from 2017

Best regards,
Wes

4.20 - ok in the Editor and in the Build, make sure: