Elium - Prison Escape

thanks for the kind words @udkultimate

to achieve my delayed loading screen: when the level finishes loading I pause the game but keep the loading screen in place (see how in UTGameViewportClient it checks the transition type, I just added more logic there). at the point where I know the loading is done (based on the transition type) I draw the blinking text “press any key to continue”. I then listen for any keypress at which I remove the loading screen and unpause the game

hope that helps

WOW man, what a creative workarround!!! I never thought about this (just pause and unpause the game). I thought that there is a specific function on UDK / Unreal Script for this. Thanks for the tip.

I’m not getting what you mean. I use UTKactors and their shadows move with the objects. What I meant was the torch light supports which are static, the same as per my material above. Skeletals and UTKactors passing over my grill shadows still throw shadows on the grill ‘shadows.’ But in your case simulating torch firelight I may add a panner / rotator although more probably a mild Sine effect over the whole scene. Even caustics to accentuate the effect and definitely break up some of that stark lighting which isn’t typical of firelight.

You say the lighting is all dynamic… how’d you do that, I thought you could only have one dynamic light? Well done though… I felt a pang of nostalgia for my amiga days or how the amiga could have been, if it had kept going…

@Snipe34 I added some extra caustics on the lights via a panning noise material function, very subtle though. right now I have the light that literally makes small movements in 3d space (so the shadows move) and a material function that both fluctuates the light brightness and projects 3d caustics. there’s nothing more to add anymore (unless I misunderstood you again), but again it’s really subtle otherwise it becomes really distracting

@ you just place lights and make them dynamic, no big deal. the limitation for having only one light is only for dominant lights. no clue what you mean with the amiga nostalgia tho

here’s something new:

Multi-kills never felt so rewarding

Yipes… Just showing my age… The amiga was what I first used in about 94, It was ahead of it’s time. Your games tone and lighting reminded me of it. Its only real ventures into 3D that I remeber were Alien Breed 3d and FEAR. considering it had a 28mgz processor and two meg of ram it was amazing… I have used other lights, in whats a burial tomb (Long Barrow), the only part that is not outside, cased in a post-process volume to darken it. Not looked into light function yet… got that joy to come

Distractions, yes you’re right distraction are a problem gamers do not want! Nice work - even your little gif gives the feeling of the intensity of battle. Helmets falling off and swords parring exactly as they should. Liked that hit to the chin!

@ Ah the old days. I remember when my keyboard was unlit, it was awful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi there,

a couple new screenshots from the sewers :slight_smile:

http://www.eliumgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/e170909-sewers-300x169.jpg?x13837

http://www.eliumgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/e170916-sewers2-300x169.jpg?x13837

You cant have a sewer without a alligator :wink:

Awesome as always!!!

The lighting is cool.

so lately I’ve been working on replication to get the Demo Recording functionality working
one thing led to another and now the random dungeons are mostly working in multiplayer :slight_smile:

won’t be in the final game but I wonder what to do about this :rolleyes:

In the dark, the bot doesn’t recognize the player.
It’s an interesting stealth skill.^^

**I agree with Keehoon Ahn “doesn’t recognize the player.” It is believable that it could happen. Even real players can have that problem. Playing multi BF I’d infiltrate enemy bases, kill about 10 enemy players before they realized I was their enemy :slight_smile: It wasn’t spawn camping / killing but they were supposed to be protecting their bases.

Applicable to movies too, but the movie infiltrators look guilty by sneaking around whereas walking normally, guards irl don’t expect an enemy so close.**

it’s not about recognizing…
“in the dark, bots don’t see players”
that’s how it works actually. same as any stealth game for that matter :wink:

hahaaha i don’t wanna giv e you a headache but elium multiplayer?

so I made a new IK system that keeps feet ‘grounded’ when they are touching the ground, so to prevent skating.
it’s especially effective when multiple animations are being blended

Looks great, perhaps is the ideal solution when using animation blends (and not root motion without blending).

well it’s one solution. I believe there’s multiple ones and they can be mixed together
never been a fan of root motion myself. I find having the art direct gameplay variables (like movement distance) to be limiting and couterproductive :rolleyes:

Short sequence of a fleeing enemy
Better bring them down before they reach for help!