Editor freeze while opening VR template 4.27

Hi, I’ve been using UE4 for over a year. In 4.27.0, I can’t open the new VR template.

The logs (Log file open, 10/06/21 11:58:40LogWindows: Failed to load 'aqProf.dll' (GetLa - Pastebin.com) start with this:

Log file open, 10/06/21 11:58:40
LogWindows: Failed to load 'aqProf.dll' (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File 'aqProf.dll' does not exist
LogWindows: Failed to load 'VtuneApi.dll' (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File 'VtuneApi.dll' does not exist
LogWindows: Failed to load 'VtuneApi32e.dll' (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File 'VtuneApi32e.dll' does not exist
LogConsoleResponse: Display: Failed to find resolution value strings in scalability ini. Falling back to default.
LogConsoleResponse: Display: Failed to find resolution value strings in scalability ini. Falling back to default.

I have re-installed windows, drivers, launcher, and UE4.

If I re-install and open the Blank Template, the editor does not freeze.

If I then try and open the VR Template, the editor starts compiling 9000ish shaders.
Around 7100 (7232, 7030, etc), the editor process FREEZES while the shader processes continue.
Shader process continue until they stop, and the editor is still frozen (click’s don’t register and the icon is frozen).

If I kill the Editor process, I get errors like in this bug: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-92814)

I filed a bug about it, and Epic said I should check the forums. I’ve googled around tried deleting things and re-installing, but has anyone run into this specific issue?

It’s similar to these, but the fixes didn’t work:

Does the Launcher version of UE4 need to access source code?

1. I’d prefer to use the marketplace version to prototype
  2. While UE is frozen, I can’t rename my UE4 source folder (from an old project before the reinstall) because files are open.
  3. If I close frozen UE 4.27, and also the launcher I can rename the folder.

I’m bummed out, wasting days, and not sure what to do! Thanks for your help!

Ok, so I built and ran the editor from source and the problem hopefully went away.

I was getting this error in the crash reporter: “Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4+Licensee/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost”

NOTE: This did not work. I just got a better stack trace.

I rebuilt UE4.27 from source, along with all the subprojects, started the source version and the VR template worked fine.

To get my marketplace content, I need an Epic Launcher UE version. I re-downloaded 4.27 with the launcher, created a VR Template project, and the problem doesn’t reproduce anymore.

I think the root cause is the Epic Launcer UE version was trying to use some files in the source version (evidence: I couldn’t rename the source version folder until I closed Launcher and Launcher UE) - but those files were missing/wrong.

Fingers-crossed!

Snap! I was completely stuck on this with crashes “Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost”. I switched back to 4.26. I’ll miss out on the EOS in 4.27, but at least I’ll be able to make something.

This tumbleweed was resolved for me in 4.27.1