Edge of camera lights up on certain surfaces

Hello! I am trying to make a level and I am fairly new to Unreal. Got through most problems by googling and this tutorial but I can’t seem to be able to get rid of this:

This is caused by the directional light and the indirect lighting intensity setting in it exacerbates it (current value 6), but it only goes away if it’s <0.5 and the interiors are pitch black (which wouldn’t make much sense). Material albedos are within range of 4%-85% and PPV exposure compensation is 3.5.

The “light” appears next to a column protruding from the wall. From what I understand it is reflected off of it, since if I set it to an albedo of 0, the light mostly goes away. The thing is, it shouldn’t reflect that much light at that height, and besides, it is only happening at the edge very of the camera for some reason.

I have disabled auto-exposure in the project and PPV settings:

And lastly, these are my camera settings for exposure:

Nothing seems to have an effect on this intense light coming from the corner of the screen. Any ideas?

Update: I tried changing the column material’s blend modes, then set it back to the default and most of the light is gone. I always rebuilt the lighting before just in case and nothing changed, but perhaps it seems something was updated (?) with what I did.

Nevermind, restarting unreal brought it back! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, it could be due to the light setup. Have you tried to remove lights such as the sky light or directional light to see if they affect it?

Yes, the directional light causes it, I’ll add that to the OP too. The indirect lighting intensity exacerbates it (current value 6), but it only goes away if it’s <0.5 and the interiors are pitch black (which wouldn’t make much sense).

I have had a similar issue before, I am not sure how I solved it. Here are some steps you can try to reduce the edge light:

• Decrease light intensity: Decreasing the intensity of the directional light can help reduce the amount of light bleeding.
  • Reduce light source size: Reducing the size of the light source can also help reduce light bleeding.
  • Use Lightmass Importance Volume: You can use the Lightmass Importance Volume to control the quality of lightmass lighting. Increasing the size of the importance volume can reduce light bleeding. (Maybe not useful here, but if you are building this is worth noting.)
  • Adjust post-processing settings: Try turning of unused features in the post process menu to see if there is a cause from within there.

I am sorry I don’t have a proper solution.

1 Like

Np, thank you for the ideas, I also didn’t know about the volumes - now I do.

Found a good enough solution:
In the mesh settings of the column that seems to reflect the directional light, under Rendering, I unchecked “Affect Distance Field Lighting”.
Unchecking “Affect Dynamic Indirect Lighting” just above also doesn’t let the column reflect that light, but I left it on as it seemed a more general setting.

Still that is probably a band-aid, but sufficient for my scene, although I have no idea why this happens only at the edge of the camera xD

1 Like