Dynamically modify vertices of a skeleton mesh

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a method to modify the vertices’ data of a skeleton mesh in runtime. For example, modifying the vertex’s position, color, weighting, etc. Is there any way that I can achieve this? Thanks in advance and appreciate anyone who reads this post.

Hey there @MeatSolid! Welcome back to the community! What’s your use case? As there’s multiple answers to the question.

If you’re needing to actually edit the data directly on the SKM, this answer gets complicated and somewhat incomplete as it’s a complex topic that has changed multiple times over the years.

If you’re content with just visual modification, then we’ll be looking more at morph targets or vertex offsets.

Since you mentioned weighting though, I’m assuming you’re trying to make a complete SKM editor for runtime?

Thank you for your respond. Yeah, I think the first situation is what I meet now. Do you have any suggestion? Much appreciate.

I found a couple of threads that you could use as a starting point in the right direction but they go into some deprecated functions and things have changed so you may be able to track the correct methods now down.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will read them and do some research on them.

Awesome, good luck! If you figure it out, it might be worth creating and selling a plugin with it, as it seems a complex topic that most developers would rather not implement manually.

Another bit of information I came across that might help would be this:

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/hxasso/prodedural_skeleton_skeletal_mesh_at_runtime/

1 Like

OK, I will do some research on that. Thanks again for your help.