"Dynamic Global Illumination Method" greyed out?

Hi there,

Im bringing over a UE4 project into UE5 and hitting some walls. The project started out its life as an ArchViz VR store built from the standard “VR Template” in UE4. Im now using the project to shoot some cinematics of the store and wanted to use the project to test out UE5 and Lumen.

However once in UE5 the “Dynamic Global Illumination Method” is greyed out in the rendering section of project settings. Anyone got any ideas how im messing up? As is probably apparent ive only been using UE for a couple of months and am stumped.

My guess is that it may have something to do with the fact that it was originally built to export to the quest 2 and run on Vulkan. I’ve changed the target platform but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

Similar issue here. VR game for Index made in UE4, moved it to UE5 today and can’t change any settings on global illumination.
The only thing I can find so far is that when I click on it it says I need to bake rebuild the lighting (I had turned off pre-computed lighting), but when I do another bake to clear it all out, it still says I need to rebuild the lighting.

1 Like

Similar issue here, I’m trying to turn off lumen and the Dynamic Global Illumination Method is greyed out in lumen.
Also, I’m not sure that lumen works too, I made an emissive material and applied it to a sphere and it doesn’t light the scene in any way, all the tutorials online suggest a bloom PostProcessVolume.

I have a similar issue with it being greyed out. However, unlike the original poster, I actually started by creating a brand new ue5 project, was able turn off Lumen, and afterwards wanted to turn Lumen back on (but could not, as it became greyed out).

My currently used workaround is to simply access the DefaultEngine.ini file in my project, and manually change the value of “r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod=0” back to “=1”, though I understand that this is probably not the ideal solution.

I had Similar Problem when working with VR projects made in previous versions of Unreal. Apparently, Lumen doesn’t work at all if you have your Forward Shading setting enabled.

Try turning Forward Shading off from project Settings.

11 Likes

Thanks IAvArt-Studio. Once i turned off Forward Shading I was able to change the Lumen setting.

1 Like

I’m glad that worked out for you.

Good luck with your project.

the fact it is a VR Project made me think it might be because it engages the Forward Renderer. I just went and tried and after turning off only Forward Renderer and restarting, Dynamic Illum becomes available again (and Lumen is selectable.)

I also have that issue, and I remember that on my side I was changing some default settings during the optimization, so it might be related.

UPD: Yes, for me it was Forward Render->Forward Shading checkbox activated.

Thanks very much dear lAvArt-Studio :slight_smile: