Dungeon Architect

Discord invitation has expired :frowning:

Has anyone attempted to use this great looking tool with the Modular Neighborhood pack? Any issues before I pick up Dungeon Architect?

@fender21 as long as you have these static meshes to be placed on the map to create dungeon-like maps, it should work in a snap. While i have never tested this combination of the assets, the dungeon architect examples should give a decent impression and promise that most of the modular asset packs should be compatible with the plugin with very little to no efforts. You just configure it up and done.

The real challenge in your case would be to actually get a rather sophisticated map (this entire neighborhood area) to be proc built like the one on the Modular Neighborhood videos you have seen. But if you just want to create house interiors or some smaller parts only, that might just be possible right away, tho it will require work on your part to actually get the right item placement rules to be created (eg various kitchen templates etc).

This city builder also appears to be a promising feature of the dungeon builder, tho iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s any example regarding the usage.

Hi,
first of all, this is an plugin.

But iā€™m having a bit of a few difficulties. Iā€™m trying to create a selector for corner walls, so i can spawn corner pieces instead of normal wall pieces (because if i use normal wall pieces in multi story dungeon tiles, i get a lot of flickering).
Unfortunately half of the wall markers report their id as a huge negative number and cell type unknown and location and size of the cell is [0,0]. If i try using the is room selector (as it was in the examples) i get this (unfortunately something went wrong with the image upload (database error) so thereā€™s a imagebin link):

Anybody else has this problem or is there an easy way to select the corners of rooms?

Thanks

@whisper2shade Could you post a screenshot of the dungeon properties window. Iā€™ll have a look

Iā€™m creating a unified query interface which you can pull out of an dungeon actor in your blueprints. This will let you work with a clean higher level interface to get more info about your dungeon (e.g. adjacent rooms, furthest rooms, room locations, path between any two rooms etc) instead of dealing with the low level objects in the model. There is a query class for each of the builder types, which you will cast to before using (e.g. grid query, isaac query, floorplan query, snap query etc).

Iā€™ve implemented the grid query interface. Iā€™ll implement the isaac query tomorrow and have it in the next build soon

@SethPDA

[MENTION=28980][/MENTION] it is. Itā€™s a screenshot from the dungeon preview windows while building a theme. Iā€™m using the same configuration for the dungeon builder itself and the results are the same.

By the way, i noticed you used the multi story dungeon theme in some of the documentation screenshots and that you actually created one for the Unity engine, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m trying to create.

@whisper2shade Iā€™ll create a theme for UE4 as well when I get time. If you want to place objects on the corners, thereā€™s a sample marker emitter to do that in the grass land demo. I place statues (with wings) on the 4 corners of the rooms. You can have a look at that

Yeah, i have found that example. Thatā€™s how i placed the wall corner pieces. but i have to turn off the placement of the standard walls in the corners because of the flickering problem. Thatā€™s why i need the corner selector as well.

Is it flickering because of z-fighting? Maybe there is an overlap where the modular assets are bigger than the dungeon grid size. Try increasing the grid size of your dungeon or use a smaller wall mesh

Z fighting is there because the corner pieces occupy the same space as the walls.

The whole problem is that when i use normal wall pieces for the whole room, the corners of the room from the outside have z-fighting because the wall pieces intersect at the corners of the room. It looks ugly when the player is outside the room.
The solution was to use the corner wall presets from the multistory pack that contain both the corner wall parts in a single mesh, so there is no z-fighting from the outside. But if i use the corner marker emitter from the grass land demo to place the corner wall pieces, i have to somehow stop the standard wall pieces to spawn at the corners of the room.because at each corner i have the corner pieces and 2x classic wall pieces. And there s a hell of a lot of z-fighting then.
I need to create a selector, that will select (or deselect) the 2 corner wall pieces from each corner.

Still appears to be expired. When creating a new invitation make sure itā€™s permanent without a limit of users, otherwise itā€™ll end up like that again soon.
Would love to join and discuss once itā€™s up :slight_smile:

[MENTION=46991]Nick S.[/MENTION], @SethPDA Set the link to never expire. New updated link

Working on the grid query interface. You can use it to query the dungeon in various ways, one of which is to find furthest rooms (good for spawn / end rooms)

Added a query api to find a path between any two cells in the dungeon. You can use this to decorate your path with something. I have a dungeon event listener blueprint script where on post dungeon build event, I find all the points in the path and set it in a spline component. It automatically updates in both design time and runtime on rebuilds

[MENTION=28980][/MENTION] I Love You <3

When will this Update be Available?

Also do you have a Way to Save Information about a Room? Or Access to the Seed in Blueprints? Reason why I ask, I would like to add some Random Generation to Inputs on Objects Spawning, but I would like to Set a Room to a Few Specific Variables Randomly, Is there a Way? Beyond Spawning a Actor in the Middle to Associate it and giving it a List of all Assigned Spawned Room Pieces?

@ Iā€™ll have an update shortly

You can access the seed and other configuration from blueprint

I got reference to the dungeon actor in the level blueprint by selecting it in the level and then:

Dungeon Architect Roadmap

http://imgur.com/JP5FVMx.png

Version 2.2.0

• Created a Query interface for advanced gameplay logic
  • Added new set of examples to demostrate the Query interface (for grid and isaac builder). Refer the examples in the quick start guide (DA_Query_Examples)
  • Major improvements on the Snap Builder. It uses world composition to stream modules in
  • Added foliage support to the Snap Builder
  • Various bug fixes in the snap builder
  • Created a new type of builder named SimpleCity (Experimental)

Windows build is available in the website. Iā€™ll compile for mac and submit to Epic for update in the launcher

(Snap builder save bug is fixed, however runtime build is not yet supported. Iā€™ll have that in 2.2.1 in a few days)

Iā€™ve updated the quick start guide with Query framework examples. The download link is also updated so please download the new content after choosing 2.2+ version from the top right