Does Nanite and Lumen Support Stylized Art Styles?

I’m someone who hasn’t used much of Unreal Engine yet, but the Unreal Engine 5 early access announcement got me interested. Before trying it out, I want to know one thing, do all these new techniques like Nanite and Lumen matter for games that aren’t trying to be photorealistic?

For example, if I was making a game with a low-poly art style, would Nanite still boost performance, or would Nanite have no effect at that level? Could Lumen be tweaked to work with a more soft cartoony art style like that of Overwatch or League of Legends, or is Lumen strictly designed for realism? If Nanite and Lumen do support this kind of semi-stylized art style, are there any good examples out there yet, or do any places I should look to learn how to?

Just where I am right now, I’m not particularly interested or capable of making photorealistic games, so I’m not sure how excited I should be about UE5’s new features considering if I tried doing so I would just end up relying too much on the existing libraries and only make some generic demos at best. So I will probably not try Early Access if there isn’t enough support for the various styles I’m interested in.

Geometry and global illumination are basic elements that can be found in any art style, regardless of if it’s photorealistic, cartoonish, digital, or hand-drawn. Nanite is a system that allows for highly detailed geometry, and Lumen is a system that allows for dynamic global illumination. They are not inherently tied to any one art form.

For example, a common misconception is that quixel megascans assets are only useful for photorealistic art styles, but that is not the case. Quixel megascans can also be used in a “stylized” way, as in this example from Creating digital worlds with Megascans and Unreal Engine:
Unreal+Engine_blog_creating-digital-worlds-with-megascans-and-unreal-engine_Megascans-Ecosystem-Intro_gif-05-4c2cfffe83e3d86b089c5066769342a0a3485bfa

Also, remember that Epic’s biggest game has a stylized art style, so they also care about art styles other than photorealism.

4 Likes