Disable "preview" in shadows?

Is there a way to disable the word “Preview” in unbaked shadows?

I take a lot of work in progress screenshots and I don’t like having to bake my lights every time.

2 Likes

You can disable the show flag in the viewport > show section. I don’t have the editor open in front of me at the moment, but I’m fairly certain it’s in there. If not, then check Project Settings > Rendering. It’s an option that can be toggled somewhere in the editor.

Yeah, it’s in Project Settings - General Settings - Default materials and clear the shadow material indicator!

1 Like

THat didn’t work, the suggestion on that tick box said leave it enabled,so what now ?
Is there any feature I have set wrong that would cause this.
Also and ODDly, when I set lighting to medium , it doesnt seem to build lights, I see no swarm agent start…would might cause that also, which clearly is my issue,just putting that all out there .

thx

THat didn’t work, the suggestion on that tick box said leave it enabled,so what now ?
Is there any feature I have set wrong that would cause this.
Also and ODDly, when I set lighting to anything , it doesnt seem to build lights, I see no swarm agent start…what might cause that also, which clearly may be my issue,just putting that all out there .

thx

Well its fine now thoughI can’t imagine what’s going on, as I set quaity to Medium and thankfully now they are all gone as I was unable to effect any change short of that. I only have a i5-3570, gtx 950 2gb and 8gb ram with a ssd. I built lighting only as usual , yet after only 2 minutes it was done and the preview stuff was gone

It used to take forever to build lighting, was my lightmass volume whichis only on say 1/18the on one of my 4 tiles in my worldcomp project, the part that made this build go so quick ? Has something changed in 4.22 going > about how this is built to make it much faster ?

TY so much
lee

Go to your lights, and make sure to change Mobility to “Movable!”

4 Likes

To remove it whilst in editor mode:

1. At the top left corner of the viewport, there is a button with the label “Show”, click it
  2. Go to “Visualize” and uncheck the Preview Shadow Indicator option.

To remove it whilst playing the game:

1. From Unreal main menu, go to Edit → Project Settings
  2. Type “preview” in the search details input
  3. Uncheck the “Render Unbuilt Preview Shadows in game” property under the “Engine - Rendering” section
7 Likes

This worked for me. THANKS !!

1 Like

On UE5 with lumen set directional Light to Movable

1 Like

this was the fix for me! ty!

Thanks… Making the light source movable removed the “preview”. Such a simple fix.

1 Like

Is there a fix like this in UE 5 when using a level sequence? I turned it of both in editor mode and in the Render Unbuilt Preview shadows in game, but it still shows in the movie render. Would I have to restart Unreal for the second setting?

I realized my lights were set to stationary, so after changing them to movable, the “preview” title was no longer found on shadows. Thanks for the tip, it worked!

I can’t believe someone thought making this the default was a good idea…

Turning it off in Show only removes ‘preview’ while working in the editor. The shadows appear in renders. How do we remove them?

I can’t produce cinematics with this issue, and disabling “Render Unbuilt Preview Shadows” in Project Settings affects the overall lighting.

If you have 5 lights in the scene and 1 is set to stationary/static, that light will show the preview shadow.

I think it is a good idea to a degree, it certainly let’s me know where i have messed something up

Hi, and thank you for the helpful tip. As much as I love UNREAL, I hate these lighting issues. It seems, as long I don’t need to add additional lights, to my scenes, the ENNGINE seems to work. Except, I have a new problem. When I try to light the scene, the program skips the BUILD itself, and annonces… “Navigation complete.” This is stupid. And , some of the indoor scenes are running “Global radiosity , which the indoor scenes look remarkable.” Except , now, because the Build isn’t behaving, I can’t get the light to come up correctly. CASE in point; I am using the "Light House set, " and the light doesn’t look right. Ideas? Secondly, I am using multiple maps, within a single map. YES- There’s an easy to do that. I am wondering, if the BUILD issues, stems with having multiple Blue prints, within a single set? You guys are the pros. ME- I just figure stuff out.
Thanks, Mark

Unchecking “Render Unbuilt Preview Shadows in game” seems to remove these lights from my scene entirely. Is there any other option available here?