[DEVLOG] Project 'Caillou' - The first game inspired by New Caledonia

https://i.imgur.com/CEhvxiP.png

**The Team

https://i.imgur.com/a8fsIIU.png

[SIZE=14px]Awaceb is an indie studio created in 2016 by childhood friends from New Caledonia.
Our first game, Fossil Echo is already available](Fossil Echo on Steam).

Devlog

Here, we will share the development process of our new game, ***Project ‘Caillou’ ***(working title)
‘Caillou’ is the nickname used by New Caledonians to refer to their homeland.
It’s french for ‘Pebble’.

Latest Post

​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​

WIP dynamic grass material

Physics driven dynamic foliage

This is looking incredible!!!

This is soooo pretty my god.

Thanks a lot guys ! :slight_smile:

Art style is still very much WIP, will share more on that soon.

Lagoon water material

Really beautiful.

Thank you :o

Looking good. How did you make the foliage responsive? Is it still placed using Unreal’s foliage system?

Positive critism: in your water fly-by the transition from beach to grass is quite instant. Try painting the beach sand a little darker to ease in to the grass and initally plae the grass meshes a little more sparsely :). The water is great.

Hey ! Thanks for your answer

Foliage is indeed painted with the foliage tool and each instance is replaced with a physics enabled skeletal mesh based on the distance from the pawn (and then replaced back to a foliage instance). It’s loosely based on this tutorial but we tweaked it so that it automatically checks the content for skeletal meshes to swap to based on asset name, + other tweaks- it works like a charm.

You’re absolutely right regarding the grass, it’s because it’s a test map and I painted the terrain with little regard for prettiness! The terrain materiel (from wich the grass spawns, it’s not painted with the foliage tool but uses the grass type node) is already set up to handle those smooth transitions, I’ll share more terrain stuff soon :slight_smile:

Cheers !

Wow, that is a very cool trick indeed. Simple, beautiful and elegant. Looking forward to more news!

WIP animations

This is looking fantastic! Loving the artstyle and relaxed nature so far. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words ! :smiley:

This is a very pretty looking game! Nice work!

Thank you ! Looking forward to sharing more :slight_smile:

Countryside

Character face turnaround

Painting dynamic foliage