Default AR handheld template not working on device

Default packaged AR handheld template is not working on device.

Tried to build a test from a fresh template.

It get stuck on begin scan widget if left on default if I set target API 30 it just stop at splash screen.
Tried different combinations of API level (29,30,31), 32 and 64bit, APK on/off and it’s always stuck on splash screen or on Begin Scan widget.
If I Launch from editor output log show no errors but it get stuck on widget screen on default, in case of using API 30 or 31 it get stuck on splash screen or it wants a descriptor file.

How can I make this working?

Tested on Xiaomi 11T Pro and Samsung A52. Android 11. Using Engine version 4.27.1.
I can deploy other non AR projects to same devices. No numbers in project name.

Apparently, SDK Level 30 requires ARCore version 1.25 or higher. 4.27 is currently on ARCore version 1.22. Fix in UE5.

Are there any updates on this?
AR Template seems to work fine on Phones with a “Standart Aspect Ratio” but I get stuck on Splashscreen/Begin Scan - Screen as soon as I use a phone with a more unusual aspect ratio. Or am I completely missing something?

Found a fix for this that resolved the issue on my end. Remove or comment-out Line 81(r.OpenGL.ForceDXC=0) from the DefaultEngine.ini in your project (or in the HandheldAR template before creating a new project). Also, disable Vulkan, as ARCore does not support Vulkan yet.

This fixed the issue on my end. This is slated to be fixed in UE 5.0.2 which should be released around the end of May.

6 Likes

I just tried what you said and it finally worked! Thanks!

I am using 4.27.2 and can’t find that line in DefaultEngine.ini. I would upgrade to 5, but it was a lot of work to get 4.27.2 mobile apps running at all and my school is using 4.27.2. Any ideas?